Owners of Apple OEM SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themac23, Mar 29, 2011.

1. themac23 macrumors regular

Does anyone use the Apple OEM 128gb SSD, and are happy with it?

It seems as though all anyone talks about on this forum is the aftermarket SSD's.

If you had the Apple SSD and swapped out for an aftermarket, are you happy you swapped?

It wouldn't seem that the actual speed difference would be all that noticeable. You would think the reliability of the Apple SSD would make up for it.

2. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I originally ordered my '11 MBP 13" i5 with the 320 GB HD and found someone selling the 128GB OEM Apple SSD for $150 so I jumped on it and don't regret it one bit. My boot times for the laptop went from 35 secs to 15 secs and everything opens instantaneously. I love it :)

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I have a 160 GB Intel X25-M, and a 128 GB Apple SSD. I can't tell the difference between the two, since I don't do any large sequential writes. All my activity on the SSDs is pretty much random read/writes, and at this point in technology, most people probably can't tell the difference in random read/write speed between different drives anymore.

4. Tulipo macrumors member

I have the 128 ssd. I am extremely happy with it. Super fast boot and the whole computer is very quiet.

5. Robbug macrumors member

I opted for the 256GB SSD from apple. Performance is greatly increased from what I would expect from a standard HDD system.

6. JH4DC5 macrumors member

just got my new 15" macbook with the 128gb ssd. It's my first ssd ever so i didnt really know what to expect, but man it's fast :D. Super quick boot and load times and it's super quiet too. i love it.

7. kushed macrumors regular

my BTO came with the 128 SSD and i love it. i dont care if its slow on benchmarks, its blazingly fast for me, it has trim, and i didnt have to put it in myself. id never even think about third party. my computer boots up and has safari running in 20 seconds or less. so maybe third party might have it up in 17 seconds but honestly who cares? not i! thats why i didnt go third party. Honestly in real world use i dont think itll be that big of a difference. and i think 80% or more of the people who want 3rd Party SSD just want to buy it to brag about the specs. Also, just buy the dam oem ssd:D

8. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

9. baddj macrumors 6502

10. anthonyw macrumors newbie

Im happy with my 128gb in the 15". It is easily quick enough, and wasnt much to upgrade from the standard drive.

11. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

________

12. mdgm, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

mdgm macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. SATA III SSD's have only recently begun to be sold and are expensive.

Anyway if you have a 2011 MBP with an Apple SSD you can easily check the speed of the SSD in System Profiler (Edit: what I mean is that if it were a SATA III SSD it would indicate it was working at those speeds. The new MBP is the first Mac to have a SATA III port).

13. cvs macrumors member

cvs

Got my new MBP 15" yesterday.

The 128 GB SSD really flies, much faster than my desktop 400 GB Intel SSD.
    But, in all fairness, the desktop runs win7, so I cannot really compare.

I decided to go for Apple SSD since this is my first mac and did not want to mess around too much. Still, having to install the optibay terrifies me enough now...

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it is SATA II.

Here is a good test of the Apple OEM SSD. Not a bad performer and I doubt if anyone could tell the difference in day to day use between the OEM and one of the aftermarket drives.

15. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I have the Apple 512GB on a 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM.
    Decided to get the Apple SSD to avoid incompatibilities and have the direct warranty from Apple.

So far loving it. Boots fast (and Windows inside Parallels boots fast). Have not timed this but machine replaced late 2008 unibody with 500 7200RPM drive and 4 GB - and it is substantially faster in every way.

16. Deeps macrumors regular

Same here :D