Owners of both iMac & MacBook/Pro: a question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xfusejc, Jun 6, 2007.

1. xfusejc macrumors 6502

Do you feel that one has displaced the other? I have an iMac and will be buying either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro (I was ready for a MacBook, but the Pros look so very pretty now) this weekend and I was just thinking about the usage of both. I'll be using the laptop once I begin school and I'm sure it'll see it's heavy usage once that starts, but I'm wondering if that many people actually divide their work between the two.

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

3. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I mean, my iMac is my only computer and I use it for all my needs. I'm basically just thinking along the lines of how much need I'll have for basically two computers and was wondering aloud to the people who own both, if they find that they have use for both. I guess I wasn't very clear.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Honestly, in most cases I think one will dominate the other and it comes down to personal preference.

Me, I would rather have powerhouse at home since I am at my desk more. And maybe a beater laptop when I take trips and stuff.

I don't use laptops at uni. Sure I will take it every once in awhile. But when it comes to writing papers and things like that I work better at home. Studying other things that don't involve a computer, I do better away from home.

It all comes down to your style. I don't see much of a point in having a super desktop and laptop unless you style demands that for example a photographer who does jobs away from home a lot and needs to be able to process on the go.

Think about what you really need, sure it is nice to have both and I won't stop you, but think about what you are using it for. Good luck.

5. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

^ That's the part telling me to go with a MacBook, which will more than suit my needs. The Pro just looks so pretty though.

Maybe I'll have a change of heart. I'm going to the Apple store this weekend.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I don't own an iMac but I own both a MacBook Pro and a 2.5GHz Power Mac G5 (soon to be replaced by a Mac Pro). About 80% of the time I use my Power Mac G5. The MBP is great, but I would rather use a computer with a 24" LCD than a 15" LCD for most of my work/play. :) :apple:

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

My point was more of "Do you need both?" Why have 2 super computers? It is totally up to you though you know.

8. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Yea I think you will end up preferring one over there other, therefore not use one of them very much. I'd go with the Macbook for better portability (and price), unless you have needs for the more powerful Macbook Pro. Just my opinion.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I have always loved desktops over notebooks. Truly.

Got a 12" PB, and then a 20" iMac. Then I almost never used the PB. Got an iBook to replace the PB as I gave it to my sister... Still always used the iMac more.

Until I tried out a MB for a weekend. *swoon*

Now? It's MB all the time. I don't want to sell the G5 iMac as it won't fetch much, and I've learned painfully that it's really nice to have a back up machine and so I'll keep it around.

But for me? A previous staunch supporter of desktops?
    The MacBook has completely changed the way I use computers. :eek:

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I had a 17" iMac G5 and just recently got a Macbook C2D. I use the MB in clamshell mode hooked to my 20" ws display and never even turn on the iMac anymore. If they were closer to the same generation I might use both, but I doubt it; I hate the frustration of trying to keep them sync'ed. I bought the MB over an iMac b/c I might someday want to take it with me on a trip, and it is more than powerful enough for my needs, so I don't feel that I am sacrificing anything. Besides, the MB was cheaper than the 24" iMac which is the only one I would have wanted.