Owners of Canon 70-200 L F/4.0

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by scotthayes, Jan 10, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Giving a lot of thought to buying one and want to hear from people who own one and what they think of it.

canon UK site

Not interested in recommendations for other lenses.

Ta.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

[off-topic] Well done! It's nice to see someone really focus what kind of responses s/he wants.

Even though I don't own it :p I've heard *great* things about this lens.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a fantastic lens. I love mine. Occasionally I wish it was faster, but not all that often and the relatively light weight makes up for it.

4. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Thanks all,

Looks like it's time to take my wife out for a meal and break the news to her :D Then check E-Bay and see what they have on there.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well no wife to worry about here but mine is second hand off eBay. Not that you'd ever know :D

6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I know the IS version of that lens is much more expensive, but if you can, get it. It will totaly transform this lens. I have had/used all versions of the 70-200 and the f4IS is the best of the bunch.

All that being said, if you want a tripod colar, dont get the one sold by Canon, get a cheap 15$ version from China.

Finaly, if you are not on a full frame, you might find the lens a bit too long on the shorter end. At least, that is what I found when I had a rebel. It was perfect for wildlife, but for street photography 115mm is a bit too narrow.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

"Not interested in recommendations for other lenses." :p

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

At one time or another, I've owned all of the Canon 70-200 L's, and they're all really sweet lenses. The f/4 offers light weight and sharp images at a very reasonable price.

9. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Well, you've pretty much made up my mind. Will have one by the end of the month.

10. waveslider macrumors newbie

A great lens,silky smooth focusing, very sharp,( it's considered Canons sharpest zoom lens )

Light too, don't bother buying the coller, it doesn't need it.

Good choice :)

11. airmax922 macrumors member

just ordered mine

Just ordered mine from onecall,

although the bh has a better price, but I can use no interest for 12 months at Onecall

i got the IS version

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Been very happy with my 70-200 f/4 L. At the time the IS version wasn't available, but not had any regrets getting the lens.

A few shots taken with it

146, no.2
    Rain

I also use this lens with the 1.4ex which has given great results. Only downside to this lens is the scratch I've managed to get on the front element, however it's off centre and does show up on anything (especially now it's used with the lens hood attached!).

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Fantastic lens - love it. THe IQ is really great and it is not too large either. Ideally the 2.8 IS is better, but for carrying around this puppy does the job. just be aware that indoors or in low light this may not be it, but I have primes for that scenario.

I thought about upgrading to the 4.0 IS, but determined if I was going to spend that much I would go all the way to the 2.8 IS.

Great lens outdoors and on a 1.6 body the reach is farther as well.

I would buy it again and recommend it.

14. jwt macrumors 6502

I haven't used mine in a wide range of scenarios yet, because I've only had it for about a month, but it seems like an excellent lens. I got it with IS, and it made life much easier. It seems to let 1/2 stop more light in at the same aperture setting as my 17-85, which made me quite happy. The colors are crisp and clear, edges are sharp, no vignetting, and high contrast regions show no fringing--makes me happier than hell. All of these qualities make life a lot easier when photostitching panoramas. I'm not sure how the color is, because I badly need to calibrate my monitor, but here are a few pix.

Attached Files:

15. fisha macrumors regular

Its a really great step into the world of L lenses.

I bought mine last summer for use at horse shows and similar. Before that, i didn't really beleive people when they talk about L-lenses. After a few photos, i was amazed at the difference. The images have real 'pop' to them. The colours brighter and deeper and the focus is really sharp. Most of the best improvements i found over my old lense was how little ( or more to the point, none ) purple fringing I get on bright hightlights.

The focus is really snappy too. No hunting around or delays. Half press, focus, click, move on. Its rare that it misses.

dso a big thumnbs up from me.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If the 50mm 1.8 "plastic fantastic" that everyone's got to have in their kit, this is the L equivalent. Outstanding value, super daylight/outdoor lens. Mated with the 1.4x teleconverter for a "little bit extra", a definite must have in the Canon bag.

17. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

thanks for all your input.

Just ordered one off e-bay (saved £150 over shop prices) and will be here by Thursday. Will post some pics as soon as I've been out and about with it.

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

it's my favorite lens that I actually own.

perfect balance of weight and capabilities.

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

If you will be carrying a tripod/monopod or shooting under bright sunlight, non-IS version will work very well.

Many photographers (those without extremely steady hands) will need shutter speed equal to the focal length. If your Canon has APS-C image sensor, such as EOS 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 10D, 20D, 30D, and 40D, you need to further multiply the focal length by 1.6. To get steady image on these cameras (without tripod or steady hand or IS), you will need 1/320 seconds shutter speed.

That is why, despite your reluctance of admitting other lenses on this thread, IS is very useful to have, which for steady subjects, affords 2-4 stops of shutter speed (2 stops advantage at 320mm = 1/80, 4 stops = 1/20).

20. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Thank you for the advice on the shutter speed.

I should point out that it's not my reluctance on the IS version, it's my bank managers. That's the reason I didn't ask about the IS version, I knew I could afford the none IS version.

21. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Great lens, but too slow for indoor use. Nice bokeh and very sharp imaging! But too slow. I would require at least 2.8 after using that 4.0 lens for one indoor gig (would even consider 135mm f/2.0 prime) but if you don't mind the lens being slow, it's great for what it is.

22. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Image stabilizers don't help anything to reduce the motion of a subject, it stabilizes the (fixed) background. For what I need my lenses for (people), lenses with IS are not helpful as helpful as a larger aperture.

23. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I guess you have already been talked into it, but I'll put in one more vote for it. I love this lens, fast focusing, sharp as a tack, great color, and light! (comparitively)

24. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I have been talked into buying it, sat here now waiting for delivery guy to arrive.

EDIT:

Yippee it's arrived, quick test (just firing off shot) and this thing is quick.

Thanks for all your advice.