Ownership & Permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LoveArt, Aug 28, 2008.

1. LoveArt macrumors newbie

I had a problem yesterday when trying to change permission for a portable hard drive I work off of at the office. I change permissions to read only before lunch (due to pranksters). So when I changed it back later I had a slight problem with it changing back to read and write and keeping the change but it did.

So this morning I can't see my drive except in Disk Utility. I can do a search and see my folders pop up but they are grayed out. So apparently something went buggy with my Ownership & Permissions settings for this portable drive.

How the hell do I get back in touch it. I tried creating a different user and got it to show up on my desktop that way. But even then when I tried to make sure that I could read and write to it. I got an error. The hard drive is fine when I verified the disk.

There has to be a fail safe to get this to work right. My life depends on this...:confused:

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Sorry for asking something like this...It might sound funny or something but have you tried using Disk Utility to fix permissions?

I don't know if it works on an external hard drive-never done this-but why don't you check it out?

3. LoveArt thread starter macrumors newbie

now that was funny

Oh yeah that was pretty funny... lol (sincere laughter):) I spent 9 hours today trying to get the problem fixed. But you can't repair external hard drive permissions. Which I think, now after the fact, would be pretty darn great. I figure that I can't be the only person that has ever had it happen. I have over 7,000 files on the LaCie Porsche Drive.

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

9 hours???:confused::eek:

I also guess you have tried Google right?

5. binaryskies macrumors regular

binaryskies

Have you tried DiskWarrior4? When my external laCie at work failed, I thought all hope was lost. I tried DiskWarrior4 and I was able to recover everything off the drive. Hopefully it will be able to fix your permissions problem.

6. osin macrumors 6502

I had similar problem and I fixed the disk permissions (several disks) with program called Mac Pilot

7. osin macrumors 6502