Owning a ipad 2 and kindle

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Narco220, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Narco220 macrumors regular

Any other of you ipad2 owners leaning towards buying a kindle as well because reading ebooks on the ipad just isn't that pleasurable? (eye strain)

It does seem like a overkill owning both devices :confused:

2. taipan61 macrumors 6502

own both, had the kindle before the iPad, tend to double up books on both devices thanks to amazon's sync feature, mostly use the iPad but use the kindle when reading in bed or when i don't want the size or weight of the iPad

my .02 cents

3. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Not overkill at all.

I hate trying to read books on the iPad...so we pulled out and dusted off my wife's sony e-reader (PRS-300)....both serve their purposes without outdoing the other...

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

I have every version of the Kindle since day 1 (3 Kindle 2s in my immediate family). They get used very little and nearly not at all by me or my wife. We've been reading on out iPads almost exclusively (I read 1-2 books a week). The only time the Kindles come out is for pool or beach reading.

The $114 Kindle is an excellent value if there are others in the house wo can benefit from it when you're not using it. My son's using it currently.

And my advice would be to wait until the Amazon tablet is announced (within the next 30 days is likely) - they may well change up the Kindle lineup (maybe a $99 price point?)

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I think the Amazon Tablet is more likely to be available in November but even if I'm correct, your advice is sound. I suspect that the wifi "with special offers" (i.e. advertising) will definitely be less than $100. (It's $114 now.) And I wouldn't be surprised to see the other models to drop $30 or so.

6. Padraig macrumors 6502a

I've both. Love the iPad2, but I find it to be a terrible e-reader mainly because of eye-strain, weight and battery life.

7. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Not overkill, but to present a different choice, I'd skip the Kindle and get a Nook Simple Touch instead - a better device, IMO. I ordered one from Barnes & Noble's refurbished sales on Ebay last week and it's wonderful. MUCH better reading experience than the iPad. I compared both the Kindle and Nook and thought the Nook was far nicer to hold - it has a rubberized coating where the Kindle is hard, textured plastic. I've been using the Nook much more than my iPad since it arrived Friday.

8. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I have both. I bought the Kindle2 about 2 years before my iPad2. If I had the iPad first, I probably wouldn't have purchased the Kindle, but as it is, I greatly prefer the Kindle for reading books. I find the Kindle useless for reading larger formats like Technical books, where the layout of text and figures is important. For those special cases I use the iPad. But for a 'pleasure read', I find the size weight and screen of the Kindle to be superior. I prefer the iPad to an actual paper book though, so if I had never used the Kindle, I would probably be very happy with the iPad as a reader.

9. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I do a lot of ebook reading on my iPad and have had no increased eye problems because of it. Well, a few times I have had eye strain, but considering how much I use it for reading, it's very minimal.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Same here. Also I read my kindle a lot at the gym; I would not want to take an ipad there. The kindle stays with my gym bag unless I am at the beach or have another outdoor reading situation. In the house I just grab the ipad.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

I also read a lot of non-fiction (including historical) which works much, much better on the iPad. Things like maps and photos are useless on the Kindle and a simple tap on the iPad opens them for enlargement or closer analysis. Even books like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, where a map is integral to the story (as it is for the George R.R. Miller books) benefit from iPad treatment.

12. summitRun macrumors regular

My main problem with the iPad for reading is that my hands and wrists get tired. The kindle 3 weighs 8.5 oz...iPad 2 is 1.33lbs (over twice as much). It doesn't sound like much but after an hour or so its a killer.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

My reading habits must differ dramatically from others'. When I read, be it Kindle, iPad or physical book, its' either resting in my lap, or propped on a pillow. The weight of these has never been an issue, be it hardcover (some of which can easily way more than 1.3 lbs) or iPad. I can't recall any period where the iPad has been held out from my body by one hand (or even two) for reading. Possibly if you're standing on a subway for a long commute, but that's about it (and I confess that sometimes if I'm engrossed in a chapter when I get off the train I'll read while I'm walking the last half mile to my house. And the biggest hazard there is potholes).

14. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

How is the map "integral" to the story? I read it on Kindle, paid no attention whatsoever to the map, and fully understood and enjoyed the book...

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

Okay, you're way smarter than I am. I like to see how the various locations were situated with respect to one another (the grandfather's house, the uncle's house, the bridge, etc...). Perhaps we each derive our enjoyment from different aspects of the experience?

My point is, where maps and photos are part of the book it offers a more full experience to be able to see them all. I read the history of the Eiffel Tower on my Kindle and then later viewed the book on the iPad and being able to see the detail on the progress of the construction would have greatly enhanced the reading experience.

16. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I used a 3G S/iPad 1 and now an iPhone 4/iPad 2 for reading books, but I recently bought a Kindle 3.

The big reason to prefer the K3 for reading is simply this: to me, the Kindle is a book. The iPad/iPhone is a gadget that can be used for reading books. Subtle difference, but an important one to me - if I read a book on iPhone/iPad, I get distracted buy emails coming in, etc. Also if I see a name or whatever in the book I sometimes think "I'll switch to Safari and look that up" then end up mucking about on the web for ages. Or if I hit a slightly boring chapter of a book, rather than fight through it, like I would in a real book/Kindle, I think "sod it, switch to Angry Birds".

The Kindle, to me, is just a book. Yes I know it has a browser, etc, but I never use it. To me, it's a book, nothing more, nothing less, and that helps me read.

----------

Quite possibly we each derive enjoyment from different aspects, and I am not suggesting for one moment I'm smarter than anyone, I just don't see how the map is "integral" to the story. Perhaps I should rephrase to "I didn't think the map was integral *for me*". No offence meant. :)

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

"The big reason to prefer the K3 for reading is simply this: to me, the Kindle is a book. The iPad/iPhone is a gadget that can be used for reading books. Subtle difference, but an important one to me - if I read a book on iPhone/iPad, I get distracted buy emails coming in, etc. Also if I see a name or whatever in the book I sometimes think "I'll switch to Safari and look that up" then end up mucking about on the web for ages."

And again, it depends on what each person takes away from the reading experience. I happen to enjoy popping over to Wikipedia when there's a historical or cultural reference that I'm not very familiar with. It enhances my reading.

18. cec2 macrumors newbie

I have both, and they are very different. For basic text only reading, nothing beats the Kindle...it's really just like reading a book. For me, reading on the Kindle is very immersive, almost more so than real book. I chose the Kindle over the Nook Simple Touch for two reasons: The Amazon ecosystem, and the font/e ink crispness. I tested a STR, and loved it, but also found the text less crisp than I would like. My 3G Kindle also includes endless, no contract 3G internet access. The browser is pretty bad, and the surfing experience is not so great either, but it is usable, and great in a pinch.

Having an iPad 2 means I can get any of my Kindle books on my iPad, and there are times when that works the best. Anything colorful or inclusive of charts or diagrams, such as a photography instructional book, work better on the iPad. I love that I have the choice.

I do think the Kindle is for people who really like to read A LOT. If you only read occasionally, it might not be worth it.

19. Jaunty macrumors regular

I have an iPad1 but only read eBooks on my Kindle3.

20. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have an iPad1 and use the Kindle app. I am also tempted to buy the Kindle, at $114 it's a heck of a deal - but I don't really need it.

The weight of the iPad means sometimes grabbing a pillow or such to prop the iPad up, whereas the Kindle I could probably hold at a comfortable angle quite easily. I also like reading on the iPad at night without a light on, switching the app to white text on black background (you'd need a light to read a Kindle).

If I had a Kindle, would I use it? Probably, at least 1/2 the time. But that doesn't mean I NEED it. Just don't have that $114 burning a hole in my pocket yet.

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Reading on my iPad doesn't really bother me so I couldn't justify purchasing a Kindle.

22. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I own both. I bought the Kindle before I bought the iPad. I just feel like the Kindle is more friendly in situations where I'd want to read. It's always in my backpack; I take it everywhere. It just feels more 'throwable', more expendable. I use it on the treadmill at the gym, by the pool, and in all kinds of situations where I'd leave my iPad behind. I also like the e-ink screen for reading more than I do the iPad. So, no, I wouldn't say that having both would be overkill. Both are excellent devices.

23. rhinosrcool, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Count me as one who owns both. For me, and ebook reading, nothing beats the Kindle. Compared to other e-ink devices, the display is more crisp.

Also, when reading outside, the Kindle is far superior to the iPad (I read as often as possible on my deck). Unfortunately, I live in Minnesota; there is only so much time to read outside.:(

Currently, I own the Kindle 3. So far, it is the best Kindle: better contrast, faster refresh, smaller and lighter, easier to hold. Yes, while reading, I hold my Kindle. When reading my iPad, often, I rest it on my lap or something similar.

For either nighttime or low-light reading, get a Mighty Bright light. When using it, I have a Marware case that I use to clip the light to. To ensure that you don't get the light glare, you just have to angle the bendable neck; it works great.

In a month or so, Amazon is probably (like the iPhone 5 rumors- however, someone from Techcrunch has actually used it) going to release a new version. It may be a lot more than an ereader; it could be more like an iPad, and hence, maybe more than you are looking for. Even so, the other Kindles could easily drop in price. Ask yourself if a dedicated ereader is your desire? If so, would saving $15-$20 (?) and not having one for a month or so be worth it? Also, on ebay, Kindles have a good resale value. So, even if a new one is released and you preferred it, you could sell your current model and not lose too much.

24. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I guess I'm fortunate in that using my iPad as an eBook reader isn't at all eye-straining. I downloaded Overdrive so I can get books from my local library and have also used the Kindle app.

The one thing I've learned is that eBooks are handy, but I really prefer the real thing.

25. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Kindle is best for the reading outside. So, don't think it's overkill. Kindle can be bought as low as 114 dollars, so it's not that much money.