Oxford 911/912 caddie/enclosure-need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elfgypsy, Oct 19, 2007.

1. elfgypsy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm upgrading my i-mac G4 to 160Gb (I know it will only read 120 but can't find a 120Gb IDE) and looking to use my old drive as storage and hopefully to transfer everything back in. I'm overwhelmed by the different types of enclosures and have been advised to find one with the Oxford chips inside, I'm in the UK, any suggestions of where to buy from?? Manufacturers who use them?

2. Veri macrumors 6502a

Me too x2. This supplier seems to sell about three Oxford 911 or 912 (includes fw800) based enclosures, in particular the fanned Mac Mini form factor case and the (fanless?) aluminium Pleiades. The Pleiades is OEMed by MacPower and the Mac Mini one reminds me of US NewerTech's Ministack and UK Lindy's offering, but they all seem slightly different so chipsets may not match either. Did you manage to find anything better?

At £55ish, you've gotta laugh that it's cheaper (and about the same speed, in the fw400 case) to put together a 6 year old PC from junk parts and serve the drive via a gigabit network. One loses seamless indexing capability - until someone writes a Spotlight server for Linux, of course - but improves availability.

3. tidytrev macrumors regular

4. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

What do the Oxford 911 and Oxford 912 chipsets do? I have seen these advertised a lot. This enclosure kit also mentions an Oxford 934. I have also seen a Myson Century Bridge advertised here. What is that?