Oye. Two apple IDs now.

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by miamialley, Oct 15, 2011.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I've always used my @gmail as my apple ID. When iOS 5 came out, I (thinking I had to based on prompts) created a new apple ID with my @me.com address. Now, I've purchased apps with the new ID.

Of course, when I sync with my MBP it tells me this [new] ID is not associated with this comp, etc. I had to authorize my MBP for the new ID.

If I just revert back to my former ID, will I still be able to get updates for the apps I bought with the new ID? If I just stay with the current [new] ID, I won't be able to access the content purchased with the former ID right? (as you can't authorize 2 IDs on one iPad). Messy. As I understand it, you can't combine IDs.

2. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

both email addresses are tied to your account. they are interchangeable now. I can log into iCloud or iTunes with my gmail or me.com accounts, and access the same information.

as of right now you can't make your @me.com account your primary which is kinda dumb. I'd rather get rid of my gmail account being associated with apple all together and stick with just my @me.com account.

3. Uplift macrumors 6502

Apple needs to wake up and realise people dont want 2 IDs, maybe with MobileMe it wasn't a big issue as it would of had a relatively small user base but with iCloud everyone can have a new Apple ID, we should have an option to merge them or transfer purchases, i know there are issues with sharing purchases but i'm sure they could work around it somehow.

4. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Okay, so I was required to make the new apple ID. I thought I misread the prompts or something once I had this sync issue. Yeah, this is stupid. So, it does matter which ID I use to purchase content or which ID is used as on my iPad as the store ID?

5. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

i also have a gmail account and made @ me.com account and they both ended up being together. i also want to use just the @me.com account as my apple ID. since apple has not taken care of this issue i went and made another @me.com account but only as a single ID. I am using this for future purchases. this works for now and will merge them all together into one account if apple ever lets us.