OZ for iPad - the interactive Wizard of Oz story

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by boluga, Apr 16, 2011.

1. boluga macrumors newbie

boluga

We've recently released our first interactive iPad book based on the original story of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and using the original illustrations from the book.

With over 20 interactive and dynamic pages, as well as sound effects and 112 pages in total, we'd be delighted to hear your feedback.

Please follow these links for more info:

App Store Link: Oz for iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Youtube video: YouTube - OZ - the interactive iPad book
    OZ website: OZ for iPad by Boluga

Hope you enjoy!

Rob

2. boluga thread starter macrumors newbie

boluga

Holiday Sale

Just to let you know Oz is now on sale for the Easter Holidays at less than half price - just $2.99!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. whiskeyred macrumors regular

Well, I was one fo the first/early adopters at full price simply because I love the book/story and was terribly excited to see this realized, and this is the first book app I've purchased. Sadly, the sale price if far more fair than what I paid. I at least hoped for music through out, while the occasional sound effects are fun it would be far better tied together with music in my opinion.

I think the idea to use the original graphics is great and the nostalgia is wonderful.

The interactive aspect is nice but clunky at times, i.e. oiling the Tin Man as one example, the flow is off at least in my experience the interactive was a bit more of a chore than fun. I simply felt it should be a lot more for the price tag. At the sale price I would recommend the app to others with low expectations - but at full price, it has been a complete regret on my part.

This is simply an honest take on something I had high hopes not an effort against you guys, I respect the development process and would simply like to see more added for the original price tag.

4. boluga thread starter macrumors newbie

boluga

@whiskeyred Firstly, thank you so much for your feedback - that's exactly what we were hoping to get from this great community. And thanks for downloading Oz.

Music is something we are working on for a future update. It is simple to add music from a technical viewpoint, but matching the right kind of music to the story is more tricky as I'm sure you'll appreciate. We were hoping to work with a particular British composer but unfortunately this is not currently feasible due to cost. Our search is ongoing as we look for multiple pieces of music to match the transitions in the book. Incidentally, version 1.1 is awaiting review and adds a couple more sound effects.

With regards to the interactive pages, are you experiencing lag/stuttering on the touch control when moving the oil can? We recently discovered that on one of our iPads the interaction on that page could stutter. When we looked into it there was another app running in the background that was causing this issue. We are looking for ways to minimise the chances of this happening or to identify which type of apps cause it, but in the short term closing some other apps running in the background should help.

Finally pricing - one of the more difficult decisions we've had to make. And to be honest our pricing was largely based on competing books. In particular Alice for the iPad and others like it. Alice, for example, has a 52 page abridged version and the 249 page original. It contains 20 animated scenes. OZ includes 26 animated pages (which we feel prompt significant interaction and connection with the story - e.g. you give the Tin Woodman his heart) within a 112 page story. In the end we felt $6.99 versus $8.99 was fair, but ultimately it is you guys that decide that and we are keen to see how the Easter pricing is received.

5. whiskeyred macrumors regular

regarding interactive pages, certainly a lag/stuttering and a bit of what do I do with it in certain places. Some things are obvious - as in I should mirror what I'm reading - some things feel interactive just for the sake of being interactive with a bit of a lack of focus and that leaves a bit to be desired.

It's has wonderful potential, just considering the story/material IMO it should be the benchmark for these types of apps. Look forward to any updates and sharing with kids/others.

Good to see developers on here, always welcome the communication.

6. boluga thread starter macrumors newbie

boluga

Version 1.1 is now available from the App Store, including some new sound effects.

The next version will include a shorter version of the story for younger readers and more frequent interaction.