P-day - July 21st, Harry Potter Final Chapter - Who's In?

Who's Going to Buy a Copy of Harry Potter on P-Day?

• I'm definitely picking up a book/audio book

Votes: 66 74.2%
  • I'm not quite sure yet...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably not, no

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No! I'm sick of hearing about Potter! Good riddance!

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Harry who? The boy who what?

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
LONDON (Reuters) - One of the most hyped books in history goes on sale this week with the release of the seventh and final installment of the Harry Potter series.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" hits shelves at one minute past midnight British Summer Time on Saturday, July 21, and anticipation over how the last chapter will end may ensure it becomes the fastest selling novel of all time.

On "P-Day", as it has been dubbed, thousands of Potter fans dressed as wizards and witches will queue at stores in major cities, eager to learn the fate of Harry and his Hogwarts pals after author J.K. Rowling said she would kill off characters.
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL1285240420070715?feedType=RSS

So, we've all lived through iDay, and the most HYPED consumer product of all time. Now, we'll be facing "P-Day", the most hyped book release of all time. You've heard the news reports, read the stories, so who's going to be picking up a copy?

~ CB

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I just ordered it on Amazon. I wasn't planning on pre-ordering, but I saw they guaranteed a Saturday delivery with the standard shipping, or I would get the book for free. Can't beat that.

I'm sure Amazon will do everything in their power to make sure that those copies arrive on Saturday, but it at least saves me a trip to the bookstore.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm going to wait a while. I just ordered some HD DVDs from Amazon.com and considered throwing HP in there too, then realised that I'd get the US version :eek:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
I'll be in the queue at midnight in my local Tesco's. I wonder if the two on-duty police officers will be queuing for their copies like last time?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm going to the midnight launch with Caroline and her sister, WHSmiths in Oldham.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Going to have to wait till October until my parents visit from England and bring me my UK edition.
Also, can I ask in advance that people clearly mark any threads that will contain spoilers, so I don't accidentally stumble across them. Thanks

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
new imac, touchscreen ipod, deathly hallows. What a summer.

i reckon hagrid and ron will be dead. snape will die once or just before we all find out that hes not evil,

I want to know more about lily and the function of the veil in ootp. Half blood didnt answer as many questions as i hoped it would have.

Whats wrong with the us edition. Its got the best cover. I dont like the pic on the UK one.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I just pre-ordered it on Amazon.

$17, free delivery, $5 off coupon. So, For $12, I don't need to stand in line, and won't be tempted to stay up until 7AM reading it. Instead, I'll rest Friday night, and read it Saturday. :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Whats wrong with the us edition. Its got the best cover. I dont like the pic on the UK one.
Yeah, I agree that the US covers are better than the UK ones. Many people disagree with us, though. And apparently they changed some things in the US version and people didn't like that. I don't really care about all that, though.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Pre-ordered from Amazon the other day, so I should be getting it Saturday.

I also may be getting a job at Walden Books this week so I might have to work the Harry Potter shift. :(

Yeah, I agree that the US covers are better than the UK ones. Many people disagree with us, though. And apparently they changed some things in the US version and people didn't like that. I don't really care about all that, though.
I love the UK covers. I have books 1-5 shipped right from Amazon.co.uk. I hope to get 6 and 7 eventually. Until then I still have the US editions.

-kritter-

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Idaho
taking a trip to boarders that day hopefully, and hopefully there will be a copy left. There isnt much of a hype about it where i live so i think ill be able to get my hands on a copy...cant wait :D

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I'm going to the local Border's Saturday morning to pick up my copy, i preordered it something like in March:eek:. I went to the midnight party for Order of the Phoenix, but it was absolutely nuts. There from 8-12, and there wasn't that much to do, although my cousin and I got on TV because she was first in line for a 'Quidditch' game that they had, so they taped her doing it and i was right behind her. Then I just did the same thing I'm doing now for the sixth. I still intend to have that thing read by 12am Sunday, mark my words.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Pre-ordered from Amazon the other day, so I should be getting it Saturday.

I also may be getting a job at Walden Books this week so I might have to work the Harry Potter shift. :(

Don't be sad, it's awesomely fun to work a Potter release! I was a sales manager for Borders when HP6 came out, it was probably one of the best nights I ever worked at Borders! Tons of fun, everyone is so excited and such!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I pre-ordered it at Barnes and Nobles but I will be going and standing just to be part of the hysteria with my friends. It's pretty fun and they are having this whole party with food and stuff at the Barnes and Nobles so it should be fun :)

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I pre-ordered from Amazon back in February. I just hope the mailman moves quickly! We're at the very end of our route, sometimes the mail doesn't come until late afternoon. I have to work in the morning anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I just pre-ordered it on Amazon.
$17, free delivery, $5 off coupon.
Damn you.

I've ordered it. :eek:

Yeah, I agree that the US covers are better than the UK ones. Many people disagree with us, though.
*raises hand* I looove the UK covers! I bought the Phoenix when I was in London a few summers back. :eek: I would have bought more but we were quite a long ways away from the hotel and I didn't fancy lugging so many hardcover books all day long and my luggage was already getting quite full (in regards to flying back).

I love the UK covers. I have books 1-5 shipped right from Amazon.co.uk.
For some reason, I thought they didn't ship internationally. :eek: Hm... thanks a lot. More stuff that I'm tempted to buy with what precious little money I have. Hehe.