p key randomly stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjk, Nov 17, 2012.

1. pjk macrumors member

my computer was asleep and when I opened it to put my password in, it kept failing. I noticed the p key didn't work. So I shut down, restarted and same thing. Then I took the key off and cleaned under it. Still nothing. I tried resetting the pram, but since p doesn't work, I couldn't. No idea how or why this is happening. Any ideas on how I can solve this issue? The p key is the only key that doesn't work. Many thanks for your time.

2. Capex macrumors regular

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the ideas. Obviously getting it replaced is the last option. Aside from using another keyboard, any other trouble shooting ideas? Thanks

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It sounds like the actual switch on the keyboard is shot. Short of breaking out the soldering iron and replacing it, there isn't a lot you can do.

6. pjk thread starter macrumors member

How can I verify this is the case? Thanks

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Well, since it doesn't work when you're trying to reset your PRAM, that tells me the issue isn't software. I've had keys go bad before, usually the result of a spill but not always, and the keyboard simply had to be replaced.

8. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. What should I expect to pay for a replacement? Cheers

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I just looked up the keyboard for my mid 2009 13" MBP on ifixit, and they're asking $299 for the keyboard and top case(apparently they're one part on my model).

Anyway, without knowing which model you have and what your options are, I don't really know how much it's going to cost. If I were you, I'd contact Apple and see if they can give you a quote. Also, you could check with any Apple authorized service centers near you. It's possible that they could give you a better price.

10. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Cheers. I have a MacBook pro 15" from 2007. Works excellent. This is the first problem ever, and it came at a terrible time as I'm traveling SEA. I'll try an external keyboard until I can go to the store. Thanks again for your time.

11. pjk thread starter macrumors member

I took it to an apple support reseller and they said they no longer stock keyboards for that model. What a shame. This laptop has worked amazing for 6 years, and to have to stop using it because one letter on the keyboard not working is a shame.

Time to upgrade I suppose.