Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I thought iCloud is a cloud storage service. Except it doesnt seem to behave that way. For example:

1) How do I see when a file is done syncing? There's no check mark

2) How do I view the files from my iPhone/iPad?

Is this a cloud service for OSX only? I don't understand.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
It's basically a "less good" Dropbox. For all intents and purposes it works the same way, but the lack of indication that files are done syncing annoys me to. Also at this time there is no first party iCloud Drive app on iOS. You have to use a third party app to see files stored there.

If Apple were to fix those two things I would consider using iCloud Drive more.

KlytusLord

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Also, you can only create one tier of folders, no subfolders.

So inside your Pages folder you can make a "Whatever" folder, but that's it. You cannot make another folder inside the "Whatever" folder.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I thought iCloud is a cloud storage service. Except it doesnt seem to behave that way. For example:

1) How do I see when a file is done syncing? There's no check mark

2) How do I view the files from my iPhone/iPad?

Is this a cloud service for OSX only? I don't understand.

Its the same as before except files don't duplicate anymore and you can see all the documents rather than just the ones for the app.

You can also add files and manipulate it in the Finder, Windows Explorer with the app installed, and iCloud.com but its so simple you can't see when it is synced... just assume everything works as intended.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Also, you can only create one tier of folders, no subfolders.

So inside your Pages folder you can make a "Whatever" folder, but that's it. You cannot make another folder inside the "Whatever" folder.

What do you mean? thats not true, I can create many subfolders in OSX.

Where is this app that I need to use to see iCloud drive on iOS?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How about editing the title of the thread? There is no need to swear like that.

iCloud is like Dropbox without the selective syncing or the ability to play movie files on the service.

There is no saving space on your Mac, when it comes to iCloud Drive. Whatever is stored on iCloud Drive will also be on your Mac.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Its the same as before except files don't duplicate anymore and you can see all the documents rather than just the ones for the app.

You can also add files and manipulate it in the Finder, Windows Explorer with the app installed, and iCloud.com but its so simple you can't see when it is synced... just assume everything works as intended.

I can't see all the documents. How do I see ANY documents on my iPhone?

sosull

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
I can't see all the documents. How do I see ANY documents on my iPhone?

Open them in apps that are set up to use them. So you would open a Markdown file in iA Writer Pro for example. The model relies on having apps that can open relevant files.

If you want to see the file system on your iPhone, open Settings, go to iCloud and you can view the files in Manage Storage.

iCloud Drive isn't as mature a service as Dropbox, there's kinks that need a while to get worked out. I think most people have a dedicated file explorer, selective sync and reliable upload status indicators on their wishlists.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I can't even use iCloud Drive. Four days after installation and it's still "Setting up..." according to the iCloud preferences, and this is after several reboots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.