P&S Recommendations for a DSLR User

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rickvanr, Jun 18, 2008.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

I am in love with my D80, but it's big, and when I'm out and about I'd love to have a nice P&S to play with.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat with my Sony A700. I'm looking into getting a Lumix TZ5K. With 9mp and a 10x optically stabilized leica lens, it seems like a pretty tempting offer under $400.

But if you're not big on zoom, have no budget, and want amazing images, grab a Sigma DP1.

Compared to all the other cameras I've looked at (and sold at work), the Lumix looks like a definite winner.

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

How much an how serious? The canon G9 is the obvious suggestion. Or a ricoh GR2

4. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

Seems like it's just hitting stores but I'm looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500. It's an "ultra-portable" but has all manual options which is nice. No RAW but I'm cool with just JPEG for a pocket camera.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

6. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

The Sigma is gorgeous! However, I've budgeted myself for somewhere around a third of it's price.

Budget ~ $300
    Zoom ~ 3x

I was recommended a Lumix FS3 or a Nikon P60 from a guy at Henry's.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I was in exactly the same situation - I wanted a relatively simple, compact P&S that was capable of producing good quality images that I could carry with me when I didn't want to lug round my Canon 30D etc.

Being a "Canon" person I obviously checked out the G9 but wasn't impressed because it could hardly be called "compact" and in spite of being a Canon, didn't, in my opinion, produce images that merited the relatively expensive outlay for a so-called "compact camera".

Eventually I settled for the Panasonic TZ3 which, with its superb 28-280mm Leica lens, really "fitted the bill" as far as I was concerned and satisfied all my requirements. Needless to say, I thoroughly recommend this camera - it produces images that, up to A4 size prints, favourably compare with those from my 30D with "L" lenses!!

The only caviat regarding the Panasonic was the fact that it took a bit of time to get used to using the 3" LCD screen as a viewfinder!!

8. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I love how the ISO settings are on a separate dial on the Canon G9, very convenient. Though I have to admit it ain't much smaller then a SLR without a lense attached...............

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

While not a P&S, I just picked up the Olympus E420 with 25mm Pancake lens DLSR. Its slightly bigger than a P&S. I've been using it constantly as a walk around for a few weeks and its amazing.

Check out www.cameralabs.com for video reviews of the camera and lens.

10. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Canon SD1100 is perfect..it's what I bought to compliment my SLR