P2-Log and Transfer-FC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WoOdPiPeS, Jan 22, 2009.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi all,
    I would like to know if somebody could help me with this:
    Is there any possibility to leave on the MacPro hard disk just the selected clips (XML's using "transfer and log") from a Panasonic P2 cam?
    I mean, I store the whole content of the P2 cards on my hard disk, but it's starting to be full (and more backups are coming),... and as I know wich clips exactly I want to use on the sequences, there is not sense to have the others stored, taking me a lot of space.
    I can do this manually, just going to the CONTENTS folder and erasing the unwanted files (it can be dangerous). But I guess this may have an automatic option in Final Cut.
    I hope to be enough clever, as English is not my language. Sorry for this.

Thanks in advance,

W.P.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

First off, you NEVER want to edit anything in the CONTENTS folder of a P2 card image, or modify the card's file structure in any way. Doing so can corrupt the card image and make it unreadable.

I would suggest using Log and Transfer to import the clips you want to keep. Once the intended clips are in your Browser, export them as standalone DVCPRO Quicktime movies. At this point, you can delete the card image if you're looking to save space.

A program like P2Log streamlines this process quite a bit, but it's a full-featured professional logging application and is expensive.

3. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answering, CaptainChunk.
    I have to say, that I don't touch the card's file structure in itself... because the card's backup comes to me in a hard disk. The guy just bring to me a physical hard disk (where he previously made a P2 card's backup), and then I copy the content on my MacPro.
    Yes, I do Log and Transfer, but I just wished to know something "auto" of faster, or easier to keep the "selected" clips (by the way you said, I must export each clip individually,... and it takes a lot of time). Any other idea?

Thanks,

W.P.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Like I said, the only other way to do that is to use an application like P2 Log.

P2 Log will load previews of the entire card and you can check which ones you want to output as Quicktime movies (it will also create FCP XML files if you want). It's also an extensive logging application that goes far beyond what you can do in FCP's Log and Transfer. It has a P2 card repair tool for fixing corrupted card images. It's a $200 program, but it's saved my skin several times.

5. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Many apologies, I didn't read well your email. Thanks again.

w.p.