P2 to DVCpro50 (.mov)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WoOdPiPeS, Feb 11, 2009.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi all,
    do you know if there is a software there, to convert my P2 files to DVCpro50? The P2 viewer software by Panasonic, only allows me to watch the files but not for converting them.
    This is for having at a home PC, so buying something like Premiere or Final Cut it's out of my pocket.

Thanks in advance,

W.P.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Assuming you have a Mac (which I would hope, since this is a Mac forum), the cheapest way I know of to do this would be P2Log. It's a primarily a P2 footage logger and viewer application, but it will also export QT movies as well.

3. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Hi Captain,
    yes, I do have mac, and I'll edit the footage in FCP, but there is an inconvenience. The producer is recording with the P2 cam in DVCpro50 (mxf) because is capturing clips too from old Betacam SP tapes in DVCpro50 (.mov) with a WINDOWS system. So the edition will be in DVCpro50.
    He has hundreds of gygabites in clips, taking a lot of space and he just needs to choose the right ones for the project. As this is a large job, he MUST do this at his home, instead of backuping to my HDs hundred of clips, just for selecting a few ones.
    Sorry if I'm not to clever since English is not my language.

Thanks,

WP

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

So, if I understand correctly, he is using the P2 camera to capture Betacam SP to P2 cards in DVCPRO/50 mode?

If that's the case, does your producer run an NLE at home that supports P2 media (like Premiere Pro, Avid, etc.)? Supported applications should be able to export everything to Quicktime.

I don't really know of any standalone software (i.e. outside of a NLE application) for Windows that will actually export the MXFs from a P2 card to QT movies.

5. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks a lot Captain.