P2P apps not working with leopard!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dudeitseddy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. dudeitseddy macrumors member

This is the 3rd time ive posted this and no one replies! Please someone help. On Tiger I used Acquisition without any problems. When i upgraded to leopard it started up but wouldnt connect. I decided to get limewire and it had the same problem. Ive also tried Aqclite. My brothers PC connects to the same network perfectly so its not the router. Ive turned of my macs firewall and routers and still no success. please help

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have tried Acquisition with two Macs with two internet connections. After performing the first search and waiting a while it connects...

3. dudeitseddy thread starter macrumors member

I just tried that and left it for 5 minutes. It didnt work. How much time did you leave it?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Two minutes, but I have 24mb broadband...

5. dudeitseddy thread starter macrumors member

Oh. Well i tried again. and i left it so long it stopped searching. I have 1 MB but it used to connect instantly in Tiger. Also I took it to my friends house and it connected after a minute. So its really strange.

6. jer446 macrumors 6502a

i tried to forward the ports as well, all to no avail.

7. dudeitseddy thread starter macrumors member

Tried using poisoned and it wont connect to Gnutella at all.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That's ironic - because I've replied to this same question 2 times just today, as have many others. Have you used the "search forums" feature? Because I'm positive many people are having this same problem.

It could be a software issue with your version of P2P client and/or Leopard. Truthfully - many apps don't work right with Leopard that did on Tiger, and it's not from any intentional blocking - but simply because of the new OS.

Make sure other extras like "stealth browsing" aren't on, and check your "file sharing" tab - there could be some settings in there, too. I know when I archived and upgraded from Tiger to Leopard - many of my Network and Internet settings did NOT successfully move over to the new OS - and I had to re-do them.

9. dudeitseddy thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks. I looked at one of your posts(couldnt find first one) and tried the steps. It didnt work but thank you for the info. If you can, may you send me the link to the first one?

10. crazycap macrumors member

this attitude wont get you anywhere

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I replied in two threads today - didn't say that I had a fix. (Was not intended to jab or mislead you with that, sorry) I just intended to state that others were experience the same thing, and to look around - as someone likely found a solution.

This thread died - and looks like a dry well:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=389278

This one I haven't looked at in a little while - so I don't know:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384665

But those are they. Dig around - with P2P and Torrents - no matter how illicit they are, can't be killed off. So I'm positive if the answer isn't there now - blink, and it should be soon.

Also bear in mind that it's Sunday evening here in the US - and all the REAL P2P experts are cramming for the paper due tomorrow morning in school, or getting stoned watching Adult Swim right now. So maybe you might have to wait a tad longer than a blink. ;)

12. dudeitseddy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you again. I just thought of what could be the problem. My father has a vista desktop directly connected to the router. I heard vista does weird things to try to make networks more secure or something. I remember when he first got it my airport did some weird stuff.

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Edit: If Vista IS your gateway - I'd definatelly look in it. But if the Vista PC is just sharing one of the "ports" or "WIFI Channels" of that router - I can't think of any way it could actively "block you". Aside from choking bandwidth by downloading or swapping of it's own.

But - if the router does not have the port forwarding set up, or blocked those ports. No way it's going to allow a P2P to run. (maybe your father is sharper than you think)

Last off - I'm not going to help anyone else with these, because it dawned on me I might catch heat from MR.

But - you mentioned it was working on a PC just fine, just not in Leopard.

Have you considered running that app in Boot Camp with XP, or in VM Ware or Parallels in XP?

I don't know if you have an intel mac - but if you do - that might be a quick fix.

But please - stealing is wrong. I used to justify it years ago, because I wanted to "sample" my taste in music, and did it due to the fact that what I listen to is never on the radio in the US. I'd usually buy the legit music off of Amazon if I liked it. But looking back - the RIAA still could have crucified me over this. Not worth it with internet radio now. (now I can actually listen to the music I like).

14. 2Shae macrumors 6502

WORKS:
    Limewire
    Frostwire
    Azureus
    Transmission

Try changing your firewall...do the 3rd option.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

did anyone realise that demonoid is down, and that would most likely be the cauze of the problem!??!

16. dudeitseddy thread starter macrumors member

Ya your right it is kinda wrong. And its a lot of hassle to get working.

17. siroma macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem after installing Leopard.
    I have a modem and a router, then a PC and a MAC connected amd this thing seems to involve both... don't ask me why. Switching ON and OFF Little Snitch has no effects. I posted this also on Apple forum and it seems I am not the only one... http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7882205#7882205 It all sounds strange.. any idea ?!

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I bet it's your router.

19. siroma macrumors newbie

My first guess

I unplugged the router and connected the Mac directly to the modem. i also fiddled quite a bit with modem settings. ie I gave Upnp permissions so in theory softwares can configure the modem themselfes but still no change. I start with a perfect connection (Skype is fine and HTTP or FTP downloads use fully my 4Mbits). I run a P2P software (testing Vuze, Transmission and Tomato). In one or two minutes (normal time to connect to peers) downloading reaches 100-120K and then starts downgrading reaching 0 in 5-10 minutes. I reset the modem. Wait a few minutes and find myself at square one. It's always the same.. could reset my clock on it!