P2P Blocking

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by key2, Oct 17, 2008.

1. key2 macrumors newbie

key2

:confused:I have a Mac network of over 20 Intel Mac running 10.5, a 10.4 Server and a Netgear Prosafe Router. Someone in the office is bringing torrents from home and using them to continually download .avi and .m4v movie files. As well as being illegal this is using around 6GB of data per day. How can I stop this from happening.

2. corbywan macrumors regular

Some stuff I would do.

Send out an in-house memo reminding employees of network policy and the illegality of such activities.
    Google what ports are used for torrents, refer to the documentation for that router, and close those ports.
    Or, block all but the standard ports and open only what you need for normal operations.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

this is what my employer dose, it seems to be quite effective , i cant even FTP

4. belvdr macrumors 601

You can also try Open DNS, and block all sorts of items you may not want them doing. Then, on the firewall, only allow TCP and UDP 53 to their DNS servers.

5. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I would have the head honcho of your office send out the email, and make sure they indicate that continued abuse may result in termination. This is surely a bad time to lose your job for downloading movies.... of course back it up with port blocking as well.