P2P Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drumson, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Drumson macrumors newbie

Hi there. This is my first post here so I was not sure where to put it. Hopefully this is the right spot.

I recently received a message from my internet provider stating that Sony contacted them in reference to an illegal movie download. I do not download files that often; but I guess I chose the wrong one!

To download files, I use Vuze. When I used to have a PC, I was able to use peer blocker along with my P2P program to block listed IP addresses. The only thing I could find like this was a plugin for Vuze called SafePeer. Unfortunately, this plugin is unsupported for some reason. I have the latest version of Vuze and a MBA 2011 with Lion.

I understand the answer to my problem is just to not download torrents any longer, but is there a way around this? Does anyone know of any extensions or plugins for Vuze that I do now know about that could protect my downloads? Is there a better P2P program in which offers protection? Are there any programs like Peer blocker which exist for Mac?

I appreciate your answers! This forum and all its members have been quite helpful in answering my Mac questions; especially questions in reference to adjusting to a Mac from a PC.

Thanks

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

PeerBlockers are only a placebo anyway, they provide zero 'safety' what-so-ever. So if I was you I wouldn't worry about it too much.

No one should be using TOR for P2P. P2P traffic severely slows down the network making it less usable than it already is, you wont get satisfying speeds with it anyway.