Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 4: Everyday

This week is a bit more freeform; I would like to see you capture little bits of your everyday…things and places you might otherwise overlook for their mundane aspects.

I admit I was better at this when my kids were small; and sometimes I get really inspired before we move (but we haven’t moved in over 10 years). But the truth is, our lives and memories are made up of these regular, everyday moments, and they should be photographed just as your vacations, holidays, and special events are.

Think about your daily drive, your desk, the view from your office window. As both an introvert and a stay at home mom, the vast majority of my everyday is spent at home, so my personal everyday is made up of moments around the house or on my daily walk. However, I do try to remember to take my camera out with me sometimes, and I’d encourage you to think about places like your local grocery store, your favorite coffee shop, going out to dinner.

This is not a highly technical week, and you won’t have to make a special effort to find water or a compelling location; just take your camera with you when you are out this week, and take photos of the things you do and places that you go every day. These don’t even have to be action photos, they can just be images in the style of still life, a moment or pocket of light that compels you on a daily basis.

The goal of this week is to help you document things and places you might take for granted. I was born and lived in the same house for over 20 years, and yet I don’t have a single photo of my bedroom. Nor the outside of my elementary or high schools. No photos of the main street of my hometown. All those places I lived and breathed for a large portion of my life, and they live only in my head now. Take time to document these places, and hold to the memories in photos.

Here are some samples to get you thinking.

Your daily cup of coffee, tea, or drink of choice.

2022_November_50S20193.jpg

A trip to the hardware store (those orange shelves are a dead giveaway to the location).

2010_June_7922_5D.jpg

Homework time (for kids); alternatively office time for you or your spouse.

2018_September_0259_D800.jpg

2019_January_2189_D800.jpg

A view from your daily walk or exercise routine.

2022_November_DSCF0007.jpg

Laundry day.

2022_November_50S20266.jpg

A trip to your favorite restaurant.

2015_April_1196_D800-Edit.jpg

The walk to the bus stop.

2019_January_2197_D800.jpg

Yard work.

2016_November_1839_D800-Edit.jpg

House work.

2019_January_2170_D800.jpg

Shopping at your favorite store. When my kids were small, we shopped at Costco pretty much every week to keep them in milk and clothing. The Costco we went to most when we lived in Connecticut had an underground parking area. My husband loved to ride down the ramps with the kids, and when we realized we would be moving in a few months, I took my camera along to capture the fun.

2011_February_1580_D700.jpg

I can't wait to see what your everyday looks like.

Last edited:

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
D7K_0701.jpg

On the left of the screen is Safari, with the highlighted text - to me - surprising / ironic - sentence from you “I do try to remember to take my camera out with me sometimes” 😃

On the right is my “MR P52” note, with 4 columns Theme, Idea, example and acc. text.

So, yes, I kinda turned this into a ‘daily thing I do in the morning’. But, time allowing, more to follow.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2146699

On the left of the screen is Safari, with the highlighted text - to me - surprising / ironic - sentence from you “I do try to remember to take my camera out with me sometimes” 😃

On the right is my “MR P52” note, with 4 columns Theme, Idea, example and acc. text.

So, yes, I kinda turned this into a ‘daily thing I do in the morning’. But, time allowing, more to follow.
I take my camera outside on walks or in the yard all the time. I don't often it out when we are just doing normal stuff anymore, although you can see from above that I used to.

My daughter had a belated birthday party this weekend at a restaurant, and one of my friends whose daughter came asked me to send photos and was flabbergasted that I only took a single phone photo. I had to cart 6 teenage girls in my car and we had a table for 14; taking a camera was just something that was something that would get broken, so I only used my phone....but otherwise this week for sure I'm going to try to remember to take it to boring places like the grocery store, or maybe my son's school for pickup.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Some other things to consider: perhaps you have a pretty view on your drive to work but you've never stopped to photograph it. This would be a great week to do so. Maybe you still live near your childhood home that made up a part of your everyday years ago; take a drive by and photograph it now. You could take a photograph of your table set for dinner, your coats hanging on the banister, the books on your bedside table. All those little things that get overlooked and yet you know make up the everday. Get a photo of those things this week. 🙂

Reactions: PhilBoogie

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
I take my camera outside on walks or in the yard all the time. I don't often it out when we are just doing normal stuff anymore, although you can see from above that I used to.

My daughter had a belated birthday party this weekend at a restaurant, and one of my friends whose daughter came asked me to send photos and was flabbergasted that I only took a single phone photo. I had to cart 6 teenage girls in my car and we had a table for 14; taking a camera was just something that was something that would get broken, so I only used my phone....but otherwise this week for sure I'm going to try to remember to take it to boring places like the grocery store, or maybe my son's school for pickup.
Hihi. Indeed, taking 6 kids with you requires attention, so it's understandable that there wasn't 'room' for a camera.

I have it at the front door, with a full battery and empty SD 😉 And about to do some shopping / errands.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Every day my husband and I spend a few hours at our favorite coffeehouse, Brew on the Grid, in Worcester, MA. Here's the plate after the bagel and cream cheese are gone. ;)

View attachment 2146860
Next time take a photo before you eat the bagel! 😉

View attachment 2146952
Brewing my morning tea when everyone is out and I can relax for a moment
Used Sony 50mm Macro at full f/2.8 ISO 500

Yes, I find my coffee tastes better when I'm alone. 😂

View attachment 2146993

So, this picture reflects my „everyday“ since COVID. I am lucky and can still work from home.
Probably the only day where I see some sun this week (based on the forecast). Thus, my desired picture got realized quite fast.

Let‘s see what else will come.

Fantastic sunburst.

View attachment 2147082
Lately, part of my (sorta-kinda) "every day" has been too much snow shoveling.

I figured out what this was before I read your caption, but at first glance, the colors seem so springy I thought you were going to plant something.

Reactions: katbel

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
One year ago this week the Freedom Convoy was on it's way to Ottawa, I can only hope this sort of image will be seen every day. Freedom is too precious an asset to surrender.

DSCF0002A.jpg

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Hummingbird-she.jpeg
Everyday I check if "my" hummingbirds are coming and feed: today she came. Didn't see her for a while , I guess there is a nest somewhere . Photo is a little dark but it's very cloudy and rainy but enough light to get even its tongue out
ISO 1600, 200mm f/5.6.

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I am feeling like it has been winter since last year! from now on, we will be having more and more of this EVERY single DAY it feels.

we have thankfully had only a few flakes of snow this year, but most people here are disappointed by that. me, not so much.

the conversion on this is really pretty.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2147694 Everyday I check if "my" hummingbirds are coming and feed: today she came. Didn't see her for a while , I guess there is a nest somewhere . Photo is a little dark but it's very cloudy and rainy but enough light to get even its tongue out
ISO 1600, 200mm f/5.6.
i'm so jealous you not only get hummingbirds, but get them all year! they migrate here and i never see many of them in the summer - often just once. but my daughter bought me a new, pretty all red glass feeder for christmas that i am excited to use in the spring, so maybe i'll get more this year.

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
For the past few years, we have been getting (at least) one species (of hummingbird) checking out our apartment's balcony quite regularly. Although our strata by-laws do not allow hanging 'attractions', I'm quite sure there are a few, and the birds know where they are. And have been nesting, and feeding year round.

A couple of years ago, they discovered some old, discarded Australian wool slippers we had put out on the balcony, and have delighted us with their presence ever since during nesting time, with several trips to this source of nesting materal each day.

We do not have a feeder, but at least we have something that brings them by, so we can view them at a closer range than just flying by for a look at us!

Reactions: katbel and mollyc

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
One challenge with hummingbird feeders is when honey bees find them. Once a hive locks on to one, they’ll clean it out quickly and hummingbirds stay away. A friend offered a solution—get a second feeder and keep it closer to the hive, and as long as you keep both stocked the more distant one gets left alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.