PA3 vs 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by tmartin2347, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tmartin2347 macrumors member

tmartin2347

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

PS3 vs 360

I my 360 got the ring of death this past summer, which I certainly got my money's worth since I bought it the morning it came out. Yes, I sat un line as number 4 in a line of about 50 or so all night, I'm very some of you did the same to get your hands on 360 when it was first released.
    Well, now I'm in the market for a new game console system.
    PS3 has caught my eye with playing blue ray, but then again I've always been a xbox guy.

Which system do you prefer and why?

Anyone else in the market?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, if you already got a bunch of games for X360 and Live account etc, then it might be waste of money to buy everything again for the PS3. The new X360 looks pretty cool and it doesn't seem to suffer from the overheating or noise issues.

You can always get a dedicated Blu-Ray player, they don't cost much nowadays.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I have an xbox 360 and when I got my 47" HDTV LCD and was interested in getting a Blu-Ray player, I went ahead and bought a PS3. Why? The good dedicated Blu-Ray players were the same price as the PS3. Since when I went to the 360 from the PS2, I left behind some PS exclusives behind, so I bought the PS3 to have the ability to play those exclusives again and have a pretty good Blu-Ray player. :)

4. pcypert macrumors 6502

I have both. I've always been more of an Xbox guy as I prefer the controller.

The PS3 caught my eye because I like platformers and interesting games. It was cheap enough to me (I viewed it in my mind as just paying a small premium on getting a BluRay player) to be worth the exclusives...many of which can now be had used for under 20 bucks.

LBP1 & 2
    The Ratchet and Clank Games
    Hell even God of War offers up some nice gameplay and visuals.

Add to the fact that I prefer the PS3 as a media link to my mac than the Xbox and I'm using it way more. I don't even think I have the 360 plugged in anymore, despite having over 50 games for it.

5. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

XBOX 360 works well with Windows PCs. Also XBOX Live > PS3's stuff IMO.

To top it off, if your friends are on XBOX Live, you will want to be able to play with them. I dont know what your friends are on.

I used to be for PS3, but when it never really lived up to its potential I realized that the 360 is better for the majority.

6. kaioshade macrumors member

kaioshade

As of right now, i use my 360 more than my ps3, however both companies still have not gotten it right yet. They both have some good points, but also some very infuriating points as well

X360 Pros:
    - Better online infrastructure. PSN may be free, but Xbox Live seems to be much more stable forme.
    - Ability to install games. Time saver and much less noise and wear and tear from the DVD Drive.
    - Updates to the system actually ADD to the capabilities.

X360 Cons:
    - Region locking. Absolutely no reason to do this
    - Poor codec support. Limited to stereo with x264? Are they insane?
    - Proprietary Hard Drive. Pure greed for this.
    - Silly MS points system.

PS3 Pros:
    - Blu-Ray Playback. For 1080p movies as well as game size. Many 360 games, which are multiple discs, fit on one on the PS3
    - Ability to upgrade Hard Drive
    - Proper media support. MKV notwithstanding.
    - No region locks on Blu-Ray titles/games
    - PSN/Online play is free

PS3 Cons:
    - Despite Blu-Ray storage, often gets the lesser version of multiplatform games.
    - PSN is not as seamless as Xbox Live
    - You can upgrade your hard drive, and still there is no legitimate way to install games completely to the drive, saving the drive from unnecessary use. Wasted potential
    - Updates to the system SUBTRACT from system capabilities.

They are both great consoles, i would pick the one the majority of your gaming buddies have to maximize fun. unless one system has games you really want.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5 years into the life cycle and were still having threads like this :rolleyes:

8. kaioshade macrumors member

kaioshade

And why not. lots has changed in 5 years with both consoles. Nothing wrong with comparing them.

Although i just say get both and enjoy both equally.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

+1

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

PS3 is definitely region locked for DVD and Blu-ray movies.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I have both. Both are great.

In your scenario I would get another X360 due to the investment in controllers, games, achievements, MS points, etc.

12. No ice please macrumors 6502

Well comming from a person who had 2 Xbox 360s RROD on him... Go PS3 I got one and never looked back. My most favourite thing is the dashboard. No clutter anywhere, no ads, no fancy navigations, and no avatars dancing around my screen. Media transfer is much more easy. Also if you really don't care for online if you're lucky you can get a PS3 on 3.55 and run homebrew.

13. pcypert macrumors 6502

I play all region blu rays fine on my PS3. The only annoyance is with the store as it relates to games. I can buy the Chinese/English versions of the games, but I set my PS Store up in US so I can't get the freebies for LBP2 for instance...

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You have a magical PS3 then, because I follow the home theater forums daily and nobody there has a PS3 that will play region locked BD movies that are outside the PS3's region. There are in fact a lot of complaints about it and people asking how to get around it.

Wikipedia backs this up as well.

Maybe all of your movies are all-region. Many movies are not region locked. I buy both domestic and foreign BDs to play on my PS3, but I have to be careful that they all support region A. Also, the US-based PS3 won't output 50Hz content, which often occurs on European BDs with extras in standard-definition.