Pacifist Doesn't Help - Disk Utility and Accounts Pane Not Working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andy2181, Apr 4, 2011.

1. andy2181 macrumors newbie

Was trying to format a USB stick the other day using the Disk Utility, but it wouldn't open. Instead I got an error "Disk Utility cannot be opened because of a problem". So I thought I would create a new account and see if the Disk Utility was working using a new account. (I only have 1 account) I tried to open the Accounts preferences pane. Only to receive the message "To use the "Accounts" preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and re-open". Upon system preferences re-opening I received an Preferences Error "Could not load Accounts preferences pane".

So I turned to the forums, I deleted com.apple.DiskUtility.plist in my user drive and system library. Also deleted Accounts Pane equivalent. Restarted my MBP and still neither Disk Utility or Accounts Pane worked.

I also tried Pacifist, I re-installed both Disk Utility and Accounts Pane. I even tried installing the Disk Utility to a different located (not Utilities folder) and still I receive the same errors.

I think I have to re-format my HD and re-install OS X. Any ideas that doesn't involve re-installing OS X?

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

what version of OS X are you on ?

you could try downloading and running the combo updater.

3. andy2181 thread starter macrumors newbie

os x 10.6.7

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

(1) download the combo from here.

(2) reboot into safe mode

(3) run the combo, then let the Mac reboot normally

(4) test to see if that resolves the issue(s)

5. andy2181 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do, but it is going to have to wait a couple of days. I saw the download size is 1.4gigs. I am away for work at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

6. andy2181 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally back in the office and I downloaded the combo update and rebooted in safe mode.

And ran the combo update and accounts pane and disk utility work again.

Thanks so much for your help