Packaged garbage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 29, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am getting my first Mac today (MacBook). I know that a new PC laptop comes with a load of garbage like AOL, Games, dail-up modem, word pad, etc. What is on my new MacBook that I reall don't need or want that is taking up hard drive space?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

iWork Trial
    Aperture trial (might be Pro machines only)
    Garage Band, if you don't use it, it's big

maybe Office test drive (I think)

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I can't state what's exactly on the MacBook (since the MBP i got I believe comes with slightly different free and trial software).

But anything that is included will be in your applications folder. So take a look in there, see what you don't like and delete it. Might I recommend just getting rid of the Office trial. :)

4. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Do a reinstall and delete all the language files, printer driver files (of the ones you won't need (who buys a 'brother' printer?)) and the xcode if you're not planning on doing developer stuff.

5. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

So you are saying before I do anything, turn it on a pop in the restore DVD. This will give me a clean Leopard install with out all the junk? Is there a list of apps. I can check or uncheck during the re-install?

6. mac-mania macrumors member

Um, "junk" is really subjective. See unlike a Windows PC which comes with tons of bloatware, running the moment you start the OS, with Mac OS, nothing is running unless you want it too. Demos won't randomly start and deleting files is as easy as dragging them to the trash. They don't leave any residue sitting around because there isn't a registry. I don't think an entire reinstall is necessary, it'll probably just annoy you and waste your time. Start it up, delete the Office, iWork, and Aperature trials and your good.

7. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

It is a custom install and you will be prompted. Do it if you feel HD space will be an issue long-term. Like the bertpalmer said, do away with the printer drivers(except the ones you know you need), languages and X-Code(I would imagine based on your questions). I can't remember the exact number but it will save you some GBs.

8. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

I am in the same situation. Deleting such programs as Garageband wont increase the speed of my macbook correct?

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, but Garage Band can take up about 2Gb of space.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

if you reformat your computer you can remove the 20 or so other languages that your Mac comes preinstalled with (unless you want them +/or don't feel like doing that). The languages take up a surprising amount of space.

11. halcyo macrumors newbie

You mean the way that the average windows computer has like 6 freakin' programs that can all play music for you? No, don't worry, there aren't any crazy redundant programs in Mac OS X (at least no version that I've ever bought!)

halcyo

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes pop the Restore DVD in, and don't install:
    - Language files for languages your don't need.
    - Printer drivers for printers you don't own.
    - iLife applications you don't plan to use.

Then you'll start up with a lot of extra space.

13. stompy macrumors regular

"A lot" is a relative term here. Is it enough space to spend the time to do a restore on a new computer? To me it isn't. Remove any apps you don't need by moving to the trash, and enjoy your new Mac.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it's relative; to me 50MB is a lot of space.

15. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

does the MB come with a wordpad or notepad style program?

16. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

My latest imac came with nothing other than iLife. No M$ Office preview or even iWork.

17. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yes, Mac OS X has a little program called Text Edit that does basic text things.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

iTunes and QuickTime? :rolleyes:

19. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Just started up my MacBook. 120GB HD but only 95.06GB avaliable. I may go with the reinstall in a few days. I don't mind the work if it gives me more HD space.

20. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think we stopped that around the time the ads came out accusing PCs of having so much junk pre-installed. You can download a trial version of iWork instead.

21. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

Same here, but Macbook. I was expecting iWork pre-installed for trial purposed but alas, not there.

22. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

No iwork, office trial, aperture trial, AOL, etc.

How do I delete all the language files, printer driver files without doing a reinstall?

Thanks guys I am a happy Mac user.

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Monolingual will get rid of the languages without a re-install.

24. mkelly2115 macrumors member

To those who have done it, what on the average is the amount of space freed up? My mbp comes on Monday, and I want all the free space on the ssd.

Matthew:apple: