Packaging and fault check on 2010 MBPs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrusty, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Chrusty macrumors newbie

Considering of buying the new 15" i5/2.4 MBP from a 3rd party retailer. Been told that they only have a "demo" units in stock (???), apparently all in original packaging / unused condition. Since I don't have a great experience with them, I am trying to be rather cautious here.

So is there any way I could tell from the opening, if the unit is 100% factory new and not been previously open?

Will try to do a quick in-store check (if they allow me to do), so what would you recommend to do?

Thinking of:
    - Dead/stuck pixels
    - Signs of reported yellow tint issue
    ???

Would try to convince them of starting the OS, should there be any problem perhaps?

All comments are highly appreciated.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

What does this mean? If there is any chance of bad service or product why risk spending all that cash on junk. Just use the apple store on the internet for peace of mind. Then you know what service level and return policy you can expect.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First ask about their return/exchange policy for damaged or DOA goods and if you're okay with that…

Is there a plastic seal? Is it broken or has it been resealed? Take out the computer; is the white stick sealer on the computer also intact?

Well check for damage: scratches, etc. Do this in the store.
    Power it up. Does it let you do the initial set up?

Make sure you're satisfied before you leave.

Not everyone can use the online Apple Store (maybe out of the delivery zone, etc.)

4. Chrusty thread starter macrumors newbie

Well unfortunately in my country, there isn't official Apple presence, only few stores (authorized retailers) and its not very pleasant if you do have any issue, since they might not swap unit if there is any issue later found.

5. Chrusty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Alpha, will try to speak about their policy first.