Packaging caused injury

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Injured, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Injured macrumors newbie

Be careful when opening your new IPod Touch. The inner plastic packaging can cause injuries when you try to remove the IPod. The design and sharp edges, and "snapping back" of the plastic, caused my knuckles to be scrapped and bleed.

I called Apple about the dangerous sharp edges, and was very disappointed by their customer service. [I've been in the market for what would be an expensive purchase from Apple, but this poor customer service experience has me reconsidering that other purchase.]

Anyone else had problems with the sharp edges? Thankfully it was an adult who was injured on Christmas morning opening the package instead of one of the children!

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I was going to post some diatribe about personal responsibility and over reacting... instead I'm going to say to the OP I'm sorry it happened, but get a band-aid, your favorite alcoholic beverage and just enjoy your new toy.

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i've gotten cuts on my fingers/hands and whatnot while opening not only some Apple products but products from other companies as well. i don't really think you can pin this solely on Apple, Microsoft's plastic boxes around some of their stuff isn't cut-proof either (360 wireless adapter, MS points, 360 Live cards, etc.)

4. Injured thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I agree that the plastic packaging of many products requires care. But the IPod Touch's problem is the inner packaging, with instructions to bend back the hard plastic inner shell in order to pop out the IPod. That inner shell has overhangs at each end that can catch the fingers of consumers. It am not refererring to the inherent problems with plastic, but rather to the design of the inner packaging with sharp overhangings at both ends... which lead to cuts.
    I've read elsewhere where the newer plastic packaging (which replaced the old boxes) is troublesome for more than a few.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well when I opened mine I almost snapped it in half, forgot I had to take the plastic off.

And why is this in the iPod touch Hacks section?

7. Injured thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the wrong forum, I'd switch it if I knew how.

Just located another thread on a similar topic, maybe I should have posted as an extension of it. Seems I'm not the only one who is frustrated by the packaging, but I might be the first to post about bleeding from it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=564793&highlight=open&page=2

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Use the report icon at bottom of any post to contact an administrator.
    Just state your mistake and they will most likely move the thread or merge it with the other one.

9. ZuneMan? macrumors regular