packaging for iPhone shipping from Apple or AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D0rk, Jun 11, 2009.

1. D0rk macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

Long story short, I want a 3GS to replace my EDGE iPhone. I want it overnighted to me by Apple's pre-order offer but can't ship it to my house due to my work schedule and the signature requirement.

I want to ship it to my work but i'm worried that if it's clearly labeled as an iPhone or Apple product in general it will get pocketed by someone untrustworthy in either the mailroom or around the mail stop for the floor I work on. I have never purchased an Apple product online, so I have no idea on how they package their products.

For those that bought the 3G(since I can't poll those who bought a 3GS lol) and had it shipped to them, does it come in a plain box/package? Silly question but it basically decides if I will have to wait a week or not.

Thanks!

2. cobalt135 macrumors regular

You can "pre-sign" for your package. When Apple ships the phone you will get an e-mail with a link to print a FedEx page you can fill out and leave on your door that allows FedEx to leave the package. I did this when I ordered my original iPhone and something else from them.

3. exhibit.b macrumors regular

Take the day off....or least a half day. My Fedex guy is always at my house by 11:30, so I am not going into work until 1:30.

I don't know about the iPhone but when I ordered my iPod it was a plain brown box but the shipping slip said Apple on it.

4. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

If memory serves, I think the brown cardboard box it's shipped in is just a plain brown box. I think the label says Apple. I don't remember. I haven't had anything Apple shipped to my house in awhile. ;)

5. bjquach macrumors 6502

I don't think it says Apple on the box. When I order my stuff from apple, it just comes in a plan brown box.

6. D0rk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info everyone.

My reasoning for not pre-signing(which i edited out of the original post since i was rambling too much) was because I live in a semi-sketchy neighborhood and I have a bad taste in my mouth for doorstep dropoff of electronics after my original iPhone was left un-signed for out on my front lawn.

I guess I could take part of the day off, but I think my co-workers would be able to see past any excuse considering I was basically ranting and raving to them about the WWDC liveblogs I was tuned in to, lol.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

8. joro macrumors 68020

joro

It's been a while since I got one as well - Leopard Pre-Order - but if memory serves me correctly, it came in an inconspicuous cardboard box. Although, the label itself did have Apple's name on it.

I would definitely be careful if you pre-sign for it and it's not going directly to your house or office. Once you sign that document, you are releasing FedEx for any liability. So if John in the mailroom steals it, you're basically stuck buying another one.

9. dagomike macrumors 65816

When you get the tracking number, you should be able to have to held at the station. Run out at lunch or on the way home and pick it up.

10. rglatter macrumors regular

all of apples packages come in a plain brown box, on the label it says AI not apple, this is everytime for me, and I work at an apple authorized service provider and every computer that comes back from apple is labeled AI.