Packaging Unix Executable with dynamic libraries - what is the best way?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by gregor.hoch, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gregor.hoch macrumors member

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi, I have a unix executable that requires two libraries, which are currently dynamically linked. Now I would like to distribute the binary together with the libraries. I failed to compile static libraries (and I also see the disadvantage of upgrading) so I am wondering what the best way is ti package the unix executable with the libraries.

Right now, I have created a .app bundle with the unix executable in '' and the dynamic libraries in ''. After creating the bundle I have changed the lib location in the binary using install_name_tool to @executable_path/../Frameworks/libmylib.dylib.
    When I start the app file it crashes right away. I can, however, directly address the binary using '', which works.

How bad is this practice? What would be a better alternative to package the binary with the dynamic libraries? Actually, I do not need the user to start the app. I am calling the binary from another application so that it's not strictly necessary that the user starts the app. But I really have the impression that's bad practice. So I would like to either package in a different way or make the .app file work.

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2009
    If you can do it in carbon, perhaps you might find this tutorial helpful?