Packet Sniffer for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Sean7512, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, I have a few questions...

I am almost positive that a wifi packet sniffer (like Wireshark) would not be approved by Apple; however, I am looking to develop one. I have a few questions regarding this...

1. With the frameworks/APIs (both public and private), is such a program even possible?
    2. If it is possible, can I develop the app in X-Code on my mac, take that code and compile it to run on a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch?

Please let me know if you guys believe this can be possible or if something similar already exists maybe...

Thanks a lot!

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

For packet sniffers don't you have to put the wireless card into 'promiscuous mode'? I think that would be the major challenge - can you do that?

3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is part of my question...are the iPhone's wifi drivers capable of being put into promiscuous mode? Any ideas?

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

You're better off asking that in one of the forums that 'jailbreak' developers hang out. You definitely can't do that with the published SDK - maybe it's possible using unpublished info.

5. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks a lot! :) I will take a look into this possibility.

6. bredell macrumors regular

With the arrival of OS 3.0 you also have the possibility to have your application talk to some external hardware that does the actual sniffing.

A small box with a WiFi and wired ethernet interface that connects to the bottom of the phone would be really nice. That way you could create a serious network analysis tool.