Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
So I gave my wife the iPhone 5, and purchased the iPhone 5S for myself.

Now it's time to pack-up the 4S and sell it on ebay, or better yet, to a friend.

I must say, I am a little sad. I am holding the phone in my hands and can't help thinking how amazing this phone is. It feels so solid, smooth, the glass is flawless. It has iOS 7.0.2, and it runs as smooth as anything else. The screen is a little small, but does anyone else feel the same about their 4S, that maybe it's hard to let go?

I look a the back of the 5 and I think, if only the glass went all the way down.

I haven't ever broken the glass on the 4 series, so I can't say how risky it is.

And for those who haven't had the 4 series, you may not understand where I am coming from, as I hold this phone in one hand and the 5 in the other.

If the screen size didn't go 4", I think I would have been disappointed. Alas I am not... :rolleyes:

I will miss this gem.

Fedmahn Kassad

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
New York City
Tell me about it. I got my iphone 4 at launch and have had it since. The last 3 years have been quite hectic for me in terms of travel, new living arrangements, lifestyle changes and the like, and my 4 has been through every step of it.

It's been like a silent participant, doing everything that I needed and helping in every way that it could, without ever needing maintenance or repair and always complementing my style.

It's so perfect because it manages to stand out without attracting any attention to itself. I've forgotten completely that I even own an iPhone, but it's such an important tool in my every day life.

This is why I see no other upgrade option other than a new iPhone, but at the same time am skeptical that it can ever live up to the iPhone 4. We shall see...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I liked the 4s a lot, but LTE was enough for me to switch to the 5. I have the 5s now, and I don't think I can go back to a phone that doesn't have Touch ID. I like the design of the 5 series, as well. Rumor has it that the 6 will be 4.7" with potentially a 5.7" large option. If so, I might be convinced to get the 4.7" but will miss the compactness of the 5 series. :apple:

Why not sell the 4s on the Marketplace here?

Sh00tingStar

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
And for those who haven't had the 4 series, you may not understand where I am coming from...

I will miss this gem.

I hear ya, man. I was still on an iPhone 4 when I picked up a 5s the day after launch. A few days later I got $230 for the 16gb iP4 and found myself regretting that I'd sold it, even at that price. :(

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I liked the 4s a lot, but LTE was enough for me to switch to the 5. I have the 5s now, and I don't think I can go back to a phone that doesn't have Touch ID. I like the design of the 5 series, as well. Rumor has it that the 6 will be 4.7" with potentially a 5.7" large option. If so, I might be convinced to get the 4.7" but will miss the compactness of the 5 series. :apple:

Why not sell the 4s on the Marketplace here?

I forgot about LTE... The 4S is pretty fast, but LTE is quite amazing. That reminds me to test LTE on my 5S, and report back.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
..but does anyone else feel the same about their 4S, that maybe it's hard to let go?

No. My nostalgia lasted about 30 seconds. I lined up the 4S next to my 5S, held 'em both in my hand for a little bit, and then after I marveled at the similarities and differences for a bit, I packed it up and sent it off to find a new home.

I look a the back of the 5 and I think, if only the glass went all the way down.

It's a visually appealing design, but I find the 5/5s design to be better overall. Let's face it, the glass and steel make the 4S heavier, chunkier brick compared to the lighter, thinner 5 series design.

I will miss this gem.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my 4 and 4S when I had them. They were great phones and had a good design for their era. At the same time, I know my 4S is going to a good home, and my 4 before it did the same. But I can't go back when I've experienced a better camera, and much faster data speeds.

But at the same time, having the 4S sit in my drawer unused wouldn't do it justice. So, off it goes.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I missed my 4S for all of 30-45 seconds, just before firing up the iPhone 5. I didn't pick it up again for a few days after that, in order to clean it up for sale, and it felt like picking up an old friend; an old, short, fat, slow friend. Like Ricky Gervais. Or Lou Costello.

I wiped my old fat friend down, stuffed him in a box, and sent him off to Gazelle. I have never written or called.

Harder for me was selling the iPhone 5, because a week or so before the launch of the 5S, I noticed my photos from the 5 were becoming foggy and washed out. Inspection of the camera lens revealed a fine haze of pocket dust covering the entire interior of the lens.

The 5S launched, I got it on day one. 2 days later, I took the dusty 5 to Apple and got a brand new replacement. A brand new shiny sexy black phone. And I sold it. It felt so wrong to be selling a brand new unused phone instead of keeping it. But I did it anyway. I sold it to a co-worker, and now I don't even think about it. I don't write. I don't call.

The 5S is my new constant companion. Greatest iPhone yet. Slim. Silvery gray and black. Swathed in Apple's luxurious form fitting black leather, like a sleek rock star.

But this time next year, I will bid it adieu, like all the rest. I will miss it, ever so briefly, in the few seconds between turning it off for the last time, and turning on the iPhone 6.

I won't write. I won't call.

Fedmahn Kassad

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
New York City
I missed my 4S for all of 30-45 seconds, just before firing up the iPhone 5. I didn't pick it up again for a few days after that, in order to clean it up for sale, and it felt like picking up an old friend; an old, short, fat, slow friend. Like Ricky Gervais. Or Lou Costello.

I wiped my old fat friend down, stuffed him in a box, and sent him off to Gazelle. I have never written or called.

Harder for me was selling the iPhone 5, because a week or so before the launch of the 5S, I noticed my photos from the 5 were becoming foggy and washed out. Inspection of the camera lens revealed a fine haze of pocket dust covering the entire interior of the lens.

The 5S launched, I got it on day one. 2 days later, I took the dusty 5 to Apple and got a brand new replacement. A brand new shiny sexy black phone. And I sold it. It felt so wrong to be selling a brand new unused phone instead of keeping it. But I did it anyway. I sold it to a co-worker, and now I don't even think about it. I don't write. I don't call.

The 5S is my new constant companion. Greatest iPhone yet. Slim. Silvery gray and black. Swathed in Apple's luxurious form fitting black leather, like a sleek rock star.

But this time next year, I will bid it adieu, like all the rest. I will miss it, ever so briefly, in the few seconds between turning it off for the last time, and turning on the iPhone 6.

I won't write. I won't call.

That was deep lol. What you should write is a book, and call it "I won't write, I won't call."

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I forgot about LTE... The 4S is pretty fast, but LTE is quite amazing. That reminds me to test LTE on my 5S, and report back.

The LTE is the same between the 5 and 5s, except the 5s supports more overseas bands, and the Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T phones all support the same bands.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I was sad letting go of my 4S too, but I kept it as a backup!! It was my first ever iPhone ever so it will always be special. And it's still a beast! I almost didn't upgrade but seeing my room mate use his 5S made me jealous.

Last edited:

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Okay... So a friend of mine won't bite and take the iPhone 4S for $300. It's valued somewhere between $420 to $460. White 64GB.

Any suggestions?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Okay... So a friend of mine won't bite and take the iPhone 4S for $300. It's valued somewhere between $420 to $460. White 64GB.

Any suggestions?

It was all I could do to sell a brand new iPhone 5 64gb unlocked for $450. I got crickets asking $500. There's no way the market will bear $420-$460 for a 4S. I don't know where you're getting those numbers.

IF you can get $300 for the 4S, grab it from whomever will pay it, and do it soon.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
keep in mind, it's $450 new now (yeah, 8GB, but, still...)

Gazelle will only give you about $200.

I did an ebay search for sold 4S's, 64GB, they're mainly selling for $250-$350. Some unlocked selling for more with accessories (one with extra cables, cases, pull-out keyboard case, original box, etc., claiming $200 worth of accessories sold for $480)

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I am holding on to my 4S. Yes, the LTE is going to be great, but the jump from 3.5" to 4" isn't enough for me to be locked in for two years. I've used a Moto X a few times now, and I absolutely love the screen size.

Honestly, if it wasn't for all of the apps and music I have collected since when the iPhone 3G was first released, I would make the jump to the Moto X.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I move so many of the damn things at work that the build quality doesn't phase me anymore... I have about a dozen of them sitting behind me right now destined to be donated or sold (see below), with a few dozen already recently donated/sold.

Frankly, I'm happy to start getting rid of them for 5S/5Cs for our business. The lack of LTE is pretty huge nowadays, and I am SO SICK of the WiFi chip failing in the 4S. Seriously, I've had to replace countless 4S's for a dead WiFi chip. It's ridiculous. How in the world hasn't Apple switched the chip they are using in production for this thing by now?

I like the dual glass, solid body. But I'm absolutely not sad to see it go. We have about 90 more of them left to be replaced, and it can't happen quickly enough.

lL8NzsP.jpg

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
So I gave my wife the iPhone 5, and purchased the iPhone 5S for myself.

Now it's time to pack-up the 4S and sell it on ebay, or better yet, to a friend.

I must say, I am a little sad. I am holding the phone in my hands and can't help thinking how amazing this phone is. It feels so solid, smooth, the glass is flawless. It has iOS 7.0.2, and it runs as smooth as anything else. The screen is a little small, but does anyone else feel the same about their 4S, that maybe it's hard to let go?

I haven't ever broken the glass on the 4 series, so I can't say how risky it is.

And for those who haven't had the 4 series, you may not understand where I am coming from, as I hold this phone in one hand and the 5 in the other.

If the screen size didn't go 4", I think I would have been disappointed. Alas I am not... :rolleyes:

I will miss this gem.

I totally understand. I'm keeping my 4S and giving it a new job as an iPod touch. Heck, I still have my 3GS, but I don't have the same feeling towards it.

The 4 series just has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about it.

----------

I move so many of the damn things at work that the build quality doesn't phase me anymore... I have about a dozen of them sitting behind me right now destined to be donated or sold (see below), with a few dozen already recently donated/sold.

Frankly, I'm happy to start getting rid of them for 5S/5Cs for our business. The lack of LTE is pretty huge nowadays, and I am SO SICK of the WiFi chip failing in the 4S. Seriously, I've had to replace countless 4S's for a dead WiFi chip. It's ridiculous. How in the world hasn't Apple switched the chip they are using in production for this thing by now?

I like the dual glass, solid body. But I'm absolutely not sad to see it go. We have about 90 more of them left to be replaced, and it can't happen quickly enough.

I'm happy to take a few off your hands if you'd like. My 4S is was still going strong after 22 months, wifi works perfectly- and I'm a heavy user. Apple though, especially with iPhone OS 1 had software issues with wifi with every other update of the OS. It was weird. I don't think you are totally off base on that. it seems to be a weaker area for them.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I'm happy to take a few off your hands if you'd like. My 4S is was still going strong after 22 months, wifi works perfectly- and I'm a heavy user. Apple though, especially with iPhone OS 1 had software issues with wifi with every other update of the OS. It was weird. I don't think you are totally off base on that. it seems to be a weaker area for them.

Heck, I believe you. It's not all of our phones, but I've confirmed with Apple and our Sprint/Verizon business reps that it's a common problem. If I had to pull a number out of my head, I'd say about one in every four of our 4S's has had the WiFi chip randomly die in it. Others seem perfectly fine. It's still waayyyyy too common, though.

We go through AppleCare for replacements (both for warranty stuff like the WiFi dying and for accidental damage), and let me tell you - it's an absolute pain. Apple does not have a business line for AppleCare. We have to call in pretending to be the person that the phone is registered for, go through all of the stupid mundane troubleshooting (did you reset it? Did you plug it in to iTunes? Did you reboot it at least 3 times?.....), and then, finally, an hour later, have a replacement shipped (after telling them a dozen times that we're a 3 hour drive from the closest Apple store). Even BUYING AppleCare on a new phone is annoying. They now require you to run a diagnostic test on the device to buy it over the phone, but 90% of our users are spread out over multiple states. It's nearly impossible to coordinate it if they already have the phone in their hands. It's a huge time sink and pain in the ass. Off topic a bit, but, yeah, Apple really needs to step it up in this arena if they want to steal the last bit of corporate market share that Blackberry is still hanging on to. Our IT department is two people, and wasting a couple of hours for ONE phone is ridiculous.

Last edited:

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK

I'm keeping my launch day and still mint 4S, as it's destined to live on as my car iPod :)

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Heck, I believe you. It's not all of our phones, but I've confirmed with Apple and our Sprint/Verizon business reps that it's a common problem. If I had to pull a number out of my head, I'd say about one in every four of our 4S's has had the WiFi chip randomly die in it. Others seem perfectly fine. It's still waayyyyy too common, though.

We go through AppleCare for replacements (both for warranty stuff like the WiFi dying and for accidental damage), and let me tell you - it's an absolute pain. Apple does not have a business line for AppleCare. We have to call in pretending to be the person that the phone is registered for, go through all of the stupid mundane troubleshooting (did you reset it? Did you plug it in to iTunes? Did you reboot it at least 3 times?.....), and then, finally, an hour later, have a replacement shipped (after telling them a dozen times that we're a 3 hour drive from the closest Apple store). Even BUYING AppleCare on a new phone is annoying. They now require you to run a diagnostic test on the device to buy it over the phone, but 90% of our users are spread out over multiple states. It's nearly impossible to coordinate it if they already have the phone in their hands. It's a huge time sink and pain in the ass. Off topic a bit, but, yeah, Apple really needs to step it up in this arena if they want to steal the last bit of corporate market share that Blackberry is still hanging on to. Our IT department is two people, and wasting a couple of hours for ONE phone is ridiculous.

Wow. What a mess. I can see where you're coming from. That would drive me up a wall as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.