Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbenji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Hi,

I am thinking about buying this case but I am worried about the fact that the air vents are blocked when the lid is closed.

1. Could someone share his own experience about how breathing the vents are when it is opened (comparing to no case)?
2. How easy would it be to regularly take the case off and on? will it leave any adhesive marks?
3. And finally, does the MBPTB needs the air vents exposed when the lid is closed and it sleeps?

BTW if thats makes any difference, I have the 15'' one.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
The amount of air that needs to be moved is a function of how much load the system is under (higher voltage) and the temperature conditions. If you're not doing much, maybe a few web browsing sessions or something lightweight then closed lid mode with the case on is probably OK. If you're pushing pixels and can hear the fans audibly crank up then you'd probably want to move the case since its so restrictive. Oddly enough the "position" that the case assumes when the lid is open would have been ideal for clamshell mode as well, but not looked as nice.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
I've got the 13" Cartella case and from my experience I've only had heat issues once when the lid was closed and some process was preventing the laptop from sleeping, so it did get pretty hot as there was little to no ventilation (not sure how long I left it, but it could have been half a day).

1. When the lid is open, there is a pretty decent gap behind the vents, so unless you're constantly running heavy processes keeping the fans running for extended periods of time, you should be fine. Just make sure you're not running a program that's preventing the laptop from sleeping. I'm a light-to-moderate user, so I had no concerns about the amount of ventilation.

2. It's not the easiest to remove the case, and I wouldn't recommend this case if you are planning to do this frequently. The adhesive will most likely lose its effectiveness over time from dust landing on it, and it does take a few minutes each time to align the case properly when re-applying it. No, it leaves no adhesive marks at all... I'm pretty impressed with the 3M stuff they use as it's strong, but releasable when you want to peel it off.

3. As I said before, don't close the laptop if you are running programs that prevent the laptop from sleeping.

See some of my previous posts in other threads for some photos of my case.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.