Padacs PowerCase for iPhone 4 Review & Pics (Juiciest & Best Battery Case)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., Feb 13, 2011.

1. Austin M., Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

WARNING: MAY HURT YOUR EYES, VERY LONG REVIEW.

Padacs new PowerCase for the iPhone 4 is one of the largest battery cases that I have ever seen on the iPhone market. That’s not to say that it more than double the battery life of your phone. In fact, that is exactly what this case does, and even more so. Before I begin the official review of the Padacs PowerCase for the iPhone 4, let me say one thing. If you use your iPhone for more than 7-8 hours a day, I highly recommend picking up this case, you will not be disappointed. Let’s dive in and find out if the PowerCase is the best iPhone 4 battery case available.

Before I start the review let me say that this is easily one of the most powerful battery cases available on the market today. For proof of this, I recommend skipping to the bottom of the review and reading the full battery test.

First and foremost is installation, which is very easy since the case is a slider style case. To install the case, you simply slide the bottom of your phone down on to the charger until the fit is secure and snug. The next part would be to slide the top of the case (the top piece of the case) onto the top part of the phone. Voila, you have now successfully installed the Padacs PowerCase on your iPhone 4. That wasn’t so hard, wasn’t it?

Let’s take a quick look over all the buttons, at the top of the case you have two big openings for the sleep/wake button and the audio jack. Both of these buttons are very easy to get to and I had no problems when it came to using my headphones. On The side of the case you have an opening for the silent switch and the volume buttons. These were very easy to get to and I had no problem accessing these at all. On The bottom of the case you have two cutouts for the speaker and the mic and I found that I had absolutely no problems when listening to music through my iPhones speakers. You will also find a small USB cable at the bottom of the case that serves as a charging port for when you need to charge the case, your phone, or both simultaneously. Going to the back of the case you will find a small cutout for the camera and the flash. Unfortunately, this case does suffer from flash issues as it creates a white blur in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Now, I think that the Padacs PowerCase is perfect when it comes to design and functionality. As stated before, it’s one of the simplest designs that that I have ever seen in an iPhone 4 case. Unlike other cases, who make the bottom part (where the dock connector is) very flashy and overdone, the PowerCase takes this design, and makes it small and out of the way. The only things that you will notice that are flashy about the case is the Padacs logo on the side of the case as well as the LEd lights on the back.

Another thing that I absolutely loved about the Padacs PowerCase is the rounded feel that the case adds to the iPhone 4. I miss the days of my old iPhone 3G feel, as it was more comfortable for gaming, productivity, and just doing all of life’s need in general. Even though it is fairly larger than the iPhone 3G, it still gives me that rounded feeling that I had with my iPhone 3G, and I absolutely loved that.

As far as bulkiness goes, this is one of the thicker battery cases on the market, almost similar in size to the Mophie Juice Pack Plus. Although, what the case lacks in size it makes up for in battery power. The battery of the PowerCase features a whopping 2200 mAh (200 more than the Mophie Juice Pack Plus) and delivers some of the best results that I have ever seen. That being said, let’s move on to one of the most important features of the case, the battery test.

Battery Test
    Here is my full battery test after about a day of usage with the Padacs PowerCase for the iPhone 4 (Please take note that charging time may differ due to the settings you may have on your phone, I had brightness on 50% and 3G on at all times). I charged the case to maximum capacity (4 led lights) and I let my phone completely drain to 2%. I then charged it in the case for about an hour and got the phone back up to 100% battery. I then let the phone die to about 50% and charged it up with the rest of the cases remaining battery. It charged the phone about 40% more until the cases battery had died. So, if my math is correct, the padacs PowerCase will not only charge you phone full once, but it will also charge it a little more than a third of the way, which is a ton compared to the Juice Pack Plus, which goes full way and about 10% extra.

Now, there are a few things to take into consideration before buying this case. I did mention that the case does suffer from flash issues and this is due to the very small cutouts. Another thing to note is that since this case is a very glossy polycarbonate material, the case will start to develop hairline scratches over time. Even though I have barely any scratches on the case as of the moment, I know that these may increase over time. Another thing that I wanted to mention (not much of a gripe/issue) is that the case does take a substantial amount of time to charge. It took me about 4-5 hours before the case was full charged and ready to rock and roll.

Overall, I strongly think that the Padacs PowerCase for the iPhone 4 could very well be the best battery case on the market today due to sheer battery juice and design. If Padacs can fix the camera flash issue and maybe put a different coating on the case to keep it scratch resistant, this may as well be called the perfect battery case for the iPhone 4. The Padacs PowerCase for the iPhone 4 is available in two different versions, 22 (2200 mAh), and 16 (1600 mAh), and are both listed at the price of $59.95 and $49.95, respectively. You can pick up the PowerCase over at Padacs’s website.

Rating: 4.5/5

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Forgot to mention this also comes with a screen protector that is of pretty good quality, I used it for the review.

3. Snape1 macrumors newbie

Seems to be a good one. Anyways, how much is it's life-expectancy? Since I don't want to get it changed every now and then.

4. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Haven't tested that out yet. Only had it for a few days. But it should work for a long time due to the large battery capacity.

5. krs7272 macrumors regular

krs7272

6. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Read the last paragraph of the review and then you will know. :rolleyes:

7. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm liking the 3G rounded back.

8. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Yes, it feels EXTREMELY comfortable in the hand. :)