Padlocks unlock in S.Prefs during software update

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by weedkila, Dec 3, 2012.

1. weedkila, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

weedkila macrumors newbie

I recently ran Software Update in my son's MBP (OSX 10.7.5) and discovered that after entering the name and password in the SU window, in addition to downloading software from Apple's server this action also unlocked the padlocks in both the Network and Shared panes of System Preferences. I locked both panes and tried SU again but got the same result.

This was done from a standard account using the admin name and password. On my own computer I use OSX 10.6.8 and have never noticed this kind of behaviour before when updating software. My son's computer is new so I tried reinstalling Lion but the same thing happened. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. weedkila thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

After further testing it seems that Norton's (NIS) is the culprit rather than software update and that all but 2 of the pref panes unlock at the same time as I unlock NIS's firewall. Will ask in their forums and see what they say. Thanks.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why in the world are you running anything from Norton???????

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I was going to ask the same question....I wonder if the OP is running Windows in Bootcamp or Parallels.. ?

5. weedkila thread starter macrumors newbie

I run their earlier version (NIS4) on OSX 10.6 and it works fine. The reason I originally installed it -- and later a NAT router -- was because of a bunch of attacks. My computer was basically crippled as soon as I tried to go on the net w/out any protection - the OSX built-in firewall was useless. Haven't really had any problems since then, that is until the padlock problem with NIS 5.

Am not running bootcamp or much in the way of 3rd party software.