Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
I've been using PadsX for over 2 decades. Unfortunately, with Apple having phased out 32bit support, my large database has become quite a problem, in that I know of no way to migrate the data to anything comparable.

Manually doing this will take months I don't have. Can anyone suggest where I might find help?

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I never heard of PadsX before, and a quick Google Search brought up feminine supplies. What is PadsX, and can you provide a link or more information?

Another option would be to purchase a program like Parallels, then install a 32-bit copy of MacOS, and then install PadsX and import the files over.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I never heard of PadsX before, and a quick Google Search brought up feminine supplies. What is PadsX, and can you provide a link or more information?

Another option would be to purchase a program like Parallels, then install a 32-bit copy of MacOS, and then install PadsX and import the files over.
I think she may be using this…

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I never used this program, and my Powerbook G4 died so I can't use it even if I want to :( . I would love to look and see if the files are kept in some Library or maybe a rational database?

The website also hasn't been updated since 2008 or thereabouts, and I don't know if the author is even still around to answer any questions.

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015

Thnx for the suggestion. I don't mind paying for a program that will do the job and not leave me in the lurch in future. My only issue is I have nix programming k/ledge so to say "import the files over" is like suggesting I fly to the moon.
I never used this program, and my Powerbook G4 died so I can't use it even if I want to :( . I would love to look and see if the files are kept in some Library or maybe a rational database?

The website also hasn't been updated since 2008 or thereabouts, and I don't know if the author is even still around to answer any questions.

May I suggest you delete the duped rely; makes it harder to follow. Sorry about your G4; I almost wept when my iMac died.
Anyway, thnx for the Parallels suggestion; I'll keep it in mind, but for now, I can continue to run PadsX on my MacBook Pro. I have written to the developer but don't hold any hope for a reply, given he's been MIA since 2008.

I've searched online for a video database or a Mac notebook suitable to use for that purpose and there seems to be a huge void. Nothing in the Mac suite of apps has database properties.

What I'm trying to do is migrate all my work over to the Mac Studio, because one day the lappy will die. Having a PadsX database on a backup is no use if there's nothing to run it on. So the more I think about it, your suggestion might well be my only solution, but installing parallels will mean sacrificing part of my hard drive, won't it?

I might be better off to pick up a cheap lappy that will run 32bit and use it just as a database. Cheaper than paying a programmer to migrate my PadsX.

Thanks again. You've helped me rationalise my situation and given me food for thought.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
So the more I think about it, your suggestion might well be my only solution, but installing parallels will mean sacrificing part of my hard drive, won't it?
That is not going to work for you. Virtualisation software (like Parallels) can only virtualise versions of macOS which run on the same type of hardware.

For 32-bit software you need a version of macOS which on runs an Intel processor. And macOS from 10.14 or older.

A Mac Studio uses Apple's own hardware processor - M1, M2, M3. None of these can run virtual machines with macOS which only runs on Intel processor.

(There may well too much techo jargon there - just know that isn't going to work)

I might be better off to pick up a cheap lappy that will run 32bit and use it just as a database. Cheaper than paying a programmer to migrate my PadsX.
That would work. For a "cheap lappy" you would be looking for a second hand Mac laptop from 2019 or older - with macOS 10.14 or older (I would choose macOS 10.13 High Sierra if I had the choice).

------

But in long run, it will be a great nuisance to use an old Mac for PadX when you are doing everything else on a new Mac Studio. You will need to migrate all your notes to the Mac Studio.

How many notes do you have?

From the PadX web page, I can see that it can export notes as RTF files. These will be readable on your new Mac. So you are going to need to go through your notes and export each as RTF, and move those files to the new Mac. Then use something different (Apple Notes maybe) in the future.

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
So you are going to need to go through your notes and export each as RTF, and move those files to the new Mac.
Gilby, I can see why you would say that, but a) we're talking many thousands of database pages and b) the options available are inferior to what I have on Pads.

I've now decided to invest in a docking station (perhaps the Alogic DV3) and keep the lappy on side. I'll keep using it for quite a while yet as, unfortunately, I can't download torrents on the Studio. My bad for not doing my due diligence prior to shelling out all that dosh.😒

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
That is not going to work for you. Virtualisation software (like Parallels) can only virtualise versions of macOS which run on the same type of hardware.
I was running on 2 hrs sleep yesterday and your advice on Parallels didn't sink in. Good to know, thank you. Someone else had suggested it.
Interesting though, because on a recent help call to Apple, when I was having trouble formatting a 4TB external hard drive, the support guy told me the Mac Studio was intel. Steep learning curve ahead. :)

ps - Any particular reason you're favouring 10.13 High Sierra?

dumbeblonde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2015
10.14 Mojave is the most recent which can run 32-bit apps. But I have found 10.13 High Sierra more reliable running older apps - both 32-bit and 64-bit. My wife uses 10.13 because she has 32-bit games which she won't give up!

Oh dear!
You're so funny.
Thanks for that info. I left my lappy on 10.11 because at that time, I read that Apple was making a major change in 10.12 that would mean many legacy apps would no longer run. As I do quite a lot of video work and use some apps for that purpose (both free & paid), I didn't want to jeopardise my hobby. You've given me food for thought now. Cheers.

Reactions: gilby101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.