Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I am working on a writing portfolio for a class I am taking, and I created a template page for it. It contains several background elements, a black box that covers the entire page, on top of that an artistic photograph somewhat smaller than the black box (creating a black border the bleeds to the edge), and on top of that a box somewhat smaller than the photograph which is white set to 95% opacity so you see a tiny bit of the photo, and you have a bright border of the photograph around it.

Then within the exact shape of the white box I created a text box. I was hoping to be able to make it so that when I paste my writing pieces in it could auto-flow from one page to the next. I realize you can connect the boxes, but I have quite a few items to add. Is there a way I could auto-flow the text from one textbox to the next page's textbox?

Or is there a way I could flatten what I have created and just use regular word processing on top of it like it's stationery? I am very new to page layout and am kind of impressed with what I have done so far, but I don't know anything at all about setting the width and placement of word processing text (versus textbox text).

Thanks for any tips.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I've kind of given up. It seems like text can only autoflow in word processing documents, not page layout. So I tried copying the background pieces from my page layout document template to a new word processing and making them "no wrap" and putting them in the background and then locking them, and Pages wouldn't let me type anywhere. More annoying is that even if I just keep connecting text boxes I have to duplicate pages from the thumbnail area to make new pages, there's no way to add a template page from the add page button like you can if you're working with an Apple template.

The more I work with Pages the more unfinished it seems, such as having a font panel and font inspector, not supporting the built in mac os x multilingual dictionaries, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.