Page faults - somethingto worry about?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by VulchR, Mar 6, 2012.

1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I got the System Status app for my iPhone basically because I was curious about the inner workings of the iPhone. It lists page fault statistics, showing 'Faults' and 'COW faults' separately. As I sit here looking at these stats, the counter of page faults is incrementing at a rate of about 100-300 per second and COW faults at a rate of 1-2 every few seconds. Not being an iOS programmer, I have no idea whether these indicate a problem. My phone, a 4S running 5.0.1, seems to be running OK, so I am not too concerned. However, I am curious about what these statistics mean (I understand that this is about memory management, but I do not have a sense of how often one should expect page faults). Also, this seems to imply some background processes is rather active, so does it mean there is some sort of rogue process that might be draining the battery? Could the System Status app itself cause the faults or be misreading them?

If anyone could enlighten me about this I would appreciate it. :confused:

2. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

>700 looks and nobody can help? Anybody?

Anyways, this persists even for iOS 5.1....