Page ins/outs expects needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irishgrizzly, Jul 26, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hi, I running a G4 powermac for design. Can you tell me how bad these page ins/outs are;

1978864/1194137

I hear that they are important to monitor for RAM usage. What do they mean?

2. Zel macrumors regular

When the system needs more ram than it has it will "page" a piece "out" of real memory and stuff it on the harddrive in a place called virtual memory.

The harddrive, being about a billion times slower than real memory, causes your computer to slow down if it needs the stuff in virtual memory. It has to page it back in, which takes time.

big numbers are therefore indicate that more ram would speed you up. small numbers mean more ram wont really help.

Your numbers dont mean anything to me, because I could trigger big numbers by purposely running too many large tasks at once. You should be able to tell whether the system slows down if there's a lot going on, or not, without resorting to that statistic.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I don't know what numbers indicate a need to upgrade RAM, but it depends on how long your machine was on for, but those look relatively high to me.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Your numbers definitely suggest a RAM shortage...think about upgrading it. But more importantly, does your system seem sluggish in day-to-day tasks? Do you get a lot of hanging and beachballing? How much RAM do you have in there now?

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

this was a new concept to me too, but on my mac pro with 5 gigs of ram, over 3 days of heavy work use, I can have over 3 million ins, and zero outs.

its like 3458232 / 0

and I definitely feel that speed boost.