Page Ins/Outs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by petite, May 7, 2007.

1. petite macrumors member

Hi there,

I have a mac pro with 5GB of memory and I am wondering about its quality. I am just not good enough at figuring out what the memory stats mean but the Page Ins and Outs worry me (considering the uptime).

But first, let me explain some things.

The Memory:
    I have two 512mb Apple original Nanya sticks and four 1GB Samsung sticks (with small heatsinks but sold, and guaranteed to be OK, by an Apple Store).

The Usage:
    When using one or two Adobe applications moderately (indesign and photoshop) all is pretty much ok.

But when I have been working extensively with a number of Creative Suite applications open all at once (indesign, photoshop, bridge, acrobat - sometimes illustrator) the computer slows a little too much down - especially considering it should be the creme de la creme of computers for designers. During this kind of usage the Page Outs rise alot.

I should mention all the adobe apps I have been using are CS3 except for Indesign which is CS2 so there ain't much going through Rosetta.

Well, here are the stats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Temperatures are in Celsius and these stats do only show temperatures of the 4 Samsung memory sticks but the 5th and 6th are usually around 60 degrees Celsius (the Apple ones) according to Hardware Monitor.

I will be very grateful if anyone can inform me wether this is alright or not.

2. petite thread starter macrumors member

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Adobe's CS apps are pretty RAM hungry to begin with, so running a multiple at once (more than 2) is going to be a slight drag on the system. Add in the fact that one of them is running through Rosetta (no matter how little it's used Rosetta will always be running and eating RAM), and you're going to have a system that's a little chuggy.

It seems like a high number of Page Outs, but compared to your Page Ins, I think it's probably fine.

I'd just say don't run quite so many Adobe apps at once, and definitely cut out the CS2 app if you can.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

my cpu s temp is always aroun 55-60 celsius should i be worried about this? mine s a macbook tho....

5. petite thread starter macrumors member

If so, I'm buying more RAM... I wanna be able to run all these at once. But this was probably the last time I was using Indesign CS2 so maybe it won't be as bad during the next "all-cs-apps-session".

6. petite thread starter macrumors member

That sound pretty usual for a Macbook - The Mac Pro runs cooler. Your CPU can handle a lot more than that (up to 90 degrees in peaks is usual).

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I would guess that Rosetta is the real culprit there...you should at least notice some improvement when you ditch (the CS2 version of) InDesign from your workflow.

8. petite thread starter macrumors member

Alright. I'll have my eyes on the stats next time. Thanks.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

great good to know thx