page ins

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ljonesj, Dec 15, 2010.

1. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i have a page in size of 4.58 gb that is bad right i am looking at my activity moniter and the only thing i can find that may account for that is kernel task at 225.5mb so i have a rouge going that is not showing up and my vm size 141 gb page out is 1.47gb this is on my late 09 mac mini with 4gb of ram my swap is 20.8mb i can restart the machine and its fien for a few days. as of right now for my video coding i am using my macbook pro.when i got it i used the time machine backup of my mini but now i have customized it with its own backup. my wired is 1.61 gb and active is 1.41gb inactive is 7mb free is 997.8mb

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i ment to tell what why i was asking this on a restart or a cold boot i can movies i ripped and dvds fine but its like if i dont restart or i see my free memory drop to below like 800mb the movies in any media player will start stuttering and this includes dvds i am watching in the dvd player program so any ideas what can cause this my active ram and wired ram are like almost 2gb a piece when this happens

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sorry, but you need to punctuate your sentences. It's much too hard to read your posts with all lowercase and no punctuation. I'd like to help, but you need to make an effort to make your posts more readable.

5. ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

To the ones who actually want to help people. I ment to tell what why i was asking this on a restart or a cold boot. I can watch movies i ripped and dvds fine but its like if i dont restart after a few days or i see my free memory drop to below like 800mb. The movies in any media player will start stuttering and this includes dvds i am watching in the dvd player program. So any ideas what can cause this my active ram and wired ram are like almost 2gb a piece when this happens.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said:
    You don't need to reboot. Free memory isn't the whole story:
    Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
    What other apps are running at the time? Which DVD players are you using?

7. ljonesj, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

The one that comes with osx and no apps are running for days on end and i shut the apps down when i am done with them. That means actualy right click and quit the programs. Well there is something that is going on that starts the problem with the stuttering of the videos both all media players. I know I have a rogue somewere that may not show on activity monitor