Page numbers in Excel for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by khowell, Feb 28, 2013.

1. khowell macrumors newbie

I am not very wise to the ways of Excel and need some help. I have a one sheet document that I need 500 copies of and need every copy numbered sequentially (1-500). The page needs to be exactly the same except for the page number. How do I do this?

2. James Craner, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Only way I can think of doing it would be via a Macro - are you using Excel 2011, as 2008 does not support Macros? Macro would be pretty simple - Just set up a loop to print the document 500 times and increment the page number in the footer by one each time.

This is the code to print the worksheet 500 times, and increment the page number by 1 each time. Suggest you test it first by setting the loop to say 3 first - where it says For Counter = 1 to 500 , change the 500 to 3

Code:
    Sub Multiple_Print()
    '
    ' Multiple_Print Macro
    ' Macro Prints worksheet 500 times
    '

'
        For Counter = 1 To 500
            With ActiveSheet.PageSetup
                    .CenterFooter = Counter
        End With
        ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut From:=1, To:=1, Copies:=1
        Next Counter

End Sub
    If you have never used Macros before :

Under Tools>Macros...

In the Dialog box that pops up enter the Macro Name as Multiple_Print then click Create

Copy the code above, and paste into the Macro code window, over-writing the code already there. Close the window.

To run the macro - Tools>Macros... then make sure the Macro you created is highlighted and press the Run button.

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

4. khowell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much James Craner. You have made my day. You have no idea how frustrated I was getting. My only other question is to ask you if you know how to alter that number's position on the page or size.

Other than that, my coworker here in Canada would like to know if you go to the chip shop at the bottom of the Christmas Steps or if you enjoy going for pints at Smiles? :)

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

To change the location of the page number you can substitute

.CenterFooter = Counter

with

.LeftFooter = Counter

or

.RightFooter = Counter

The easiest way to change the font or size is to go into View > Header and Footer...

Click Customise Footer - Highlight the Text that you want to format and click the format text button (far left button). Make the changes you want then click OK Button.

The Fish and Chip Shop at the bottom of Christmas Steps is called Pellegrino's Fish & Chip Shop. The building dates back to the 13th century and there has been a fish and chip shop there for over 100 years apparently. I have only been there once many years ago, but it is highly regarded in Bristol.
    166534_fbe1f667.jpg

I am glad to hear that your workmate appreciates real ale :)