Page out memory with 4gb of ram

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aleni, May 28, 2008.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

I have recently upgraded my MBP Penryn 15inch 2.4ghz memory from 2GB to 4GB.

in activity monitor, i have never had page outs when the the mbp was using 2GB only, it was always "0" page outs.

but since i upgraded to 4GB of ram, the current page outs is 284MB with free memory 398mb. i checked activity monitor that there is no fishy indication. it's all seem look normal to me.

my use of this mbp now is still the same when the mbp only had 2GB of ram. same applications and stuff.

can anyone explain something i don't know here?

sorry about my bad english. it's not my mother language.

thanks.

2. skp574 macrumors 6502

I have a similar issue with my MBP (2.4 C2D, not Penryn).

I have 4 GB of RAM too and I find that the physical ram seems to get filled more and doens't necessarily get freed up when quitting applications. I am not entirely sure what Wire/Active/Inactive memory is. If someone could explain that might help me understand the memory management of OS X.

I have used SABnzb+ to download some mkvs off usenet and after coming back to my laptop after a night of downloading I found that the pagefile shot up to 7 GB. I only had Safari, Mail, iCal running at the same time. The system is very sluggish waiting to page back the inactive apps. The pagefile doesn't seem to shrink unless I reboot either.

I would have thought 4 GB of RAM would have been more than adequate.

3. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the explanation link. but the crawling thing in my mind that the page file seems often "zero" when it had only 2 gigs of ram. now OSX seems to use the pagefile when it has more than 2gigs. so this means bad to performance because it's using the hard drive as temporary ram.