Page outs/pages ins

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lucas44, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Lucas44 macrumors member

i know this has been discussed before but i'm slightly confused. my istat memory widget says that i have 166,000 page ins and 610,000 pages outs.

from these numbers it seems that i need more ram but i have 3gb and don't tax my mac pro that much. normally have mail, safari, itunes open and maybe eyetv in the background.

do these numbers look right? any help would be much appreciated.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The ins/outs should be expressed as bytes (KB/MB/GB), not "pages." So, if it's equal units of measurement in your case, it is out of whack. Note the example below...

PS - this should be in the Mac OS X forum, not Mac Pro, as it pertains across the entire OS, not machine specific. ;)

Attached Files:

3. Lucas44 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks, sorry about posting in wrong place, hopefully the mods will move. could it be my ram is faulty or do i just not have enough?
    i have looked at the activity monitor and i have a process called EyeConnect using about 880mb of real memory. is this part of the OS or something else?
    once again many thanks

Attached Files:

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's a huge amount of page outs compared to your page ins. The question it doesn't answer is whether this is an ongoing issue or if there was one or two instances where something started hogging your RAM temporarily and generated tons of page outs. I would recommend restarting your computer and again watching your page ins/outs to see how things are looking and compare it to whether you're noticing system sluggishness at times.

EyeConnect is not part of OS X.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Running any EyeTV apps?

---

If the machine has a lot of uptime, disregard pageouts.

If you load a bunch of apps, and cycle through them, disregard that. Pageouts to swap between 50 open applications doesn't hurt unless you are flipping through them so fast you have a constant beachball.

Both could amp up the pageouts.

Restart the machine an run through you heavy test cycle to get a better idea if you need more memory for a specific heavy resource app you are running.

If you want to spend money so you can load 50 apps at once and flip through them like a monkey on crack, go ahead and spend.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depending on who you talk to, a minimum ratio of 5:1 to 10:1 of Ins to Outs is preferred. The higher, the better. If you have fairly average use (not a lot of disk-intensive app usage) and can't keep it to at least a 10:1, that's generally an indication of insufficient RAM, although not necessarily conclusive.

Apple Support pages discuss this, and our own CanadaRAM always has good advice on this topic.

You might want to take EyeConnect out of your Login Items and follow the ratio.

7. Lucas44 thread starter macrumors member

i've been getting this sort of ratio for a while. i will keep an eye on it but i really don't give my mac the kind of use where 3gb is not enough. eyeconnect is still running even though i closed eyetv. i think this might be the culprit. the only thing eyeconnect might be used for is streaming recordings to my iphone but i haven't done that in ages

edit: eyeconnect isn't in my login items but the eyetv helper is, should i remove that from my login items?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've never seen a useful definition of when pageout counts should be considered too high. I still recommend looking at a VM swap files. When you get beyond three or four of them, you'll want to restart your Mac no matter what your pageout count or ratio might be.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I believe EyeConnect can be turned on and off in the EyeConnect pane in System Preferences. I'm not sure if it also has a "Start at Login" option somewhere that you would also need to disable or if it just respects whatever on/off option is set in System Preferences.

10. Lucas44 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, i don't seem to have an eyeconnect pane in system prefs? i don't every recall even downloading it.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

jsut get more ram, you are using more than you have from the numbers you provided

also, are all the ram sticks working ok? you could have a defuct stick and not actually having 3gigs as you believe

12. Lucas44 thread starter macrumors member

a quick update, the eyeconnect process was hogging loads of ram. it prepared my eyetv recordings for streaming. i've since disabled this function and everything is hunky dory.

thanks for all the help!

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

sorry to hijack but i have the following figures on my iBook G4 with 512mb of RAM:

PageIn: 352790
    PageOut: 259330

what does it all mean - do i need more RAM?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly