Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madboom

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Paging angers me as well I hate that my machine with 8 GB feels the need to write small amounts of data using the HD when it still has over 2GB of free mem to use sometimes. I tend to not close browser windows and usually after about a week I have to reboot because I am starting to see excessive paging.

Swap that just plain P*$$ES me off. I don't want that machine to swap anything until it is as close to 0 free mem as possible.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Paging angers me as well I hate that my machine with 8 GB feels the need to write small amounts of data using the HD when it still has over 2GB of free mem to use sometimes. I tend to not close browser windows and usually after about a week I have to reboot because I am starting to see excessive paging.

Swap that just plain P*$$ES me off. I don't want that machine to swap anything until it is as close to 0 free mem as possible.

Aren't you taking it a bit personal? :D

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
If you have your machine up for 17 days, with buggy apps that open and close all the time, maybe there are not efficiently releasing RAM back to the system. A reboot every now and then couldn't hurt.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
32bit-applications must write to the HD when they reach the 4GB allocation limit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.