pagefile and hiberfil

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ry911, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ry911 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently installed Windows 7 64 bit onto my MacBook Air (128gb ssd), with a 50gb bootcamp partition. I'm just using it to play a few games like Skyrim etc.
    However, with just Skyrim and Windows 7 installed, I only have about 10gb remaining of my bootcamp partition.

I used a disk space analyser to see what was up, and pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys were taking up 7.9gb and 5.9gb respectively. I read somewhere that pagefile has something to do with being in case you don't have enough RAM.

However, my MacBook Air has 8gb of RAM. Would I be right in saying that I would probably not use that much, even when playing Skyrim and having a few other applications open eg Skype and Chrome?

If so, would it be safe to delete/reduce the size of the pagefile, and how would I go about doing that?

Also, what is hiberfil.sys, is it important, and if not how would I go about getting rid of it/reducing it?

Thanks very much

2. arashb macrumors 6502

the hiberfil.sys is used if you use hibernation mode. If not you can open up terminal and type powercfg -h off. This will remove the hibernation option from your start menu and delete the huge hiberfil.sys.

Do not delete pagefile because when you open a game in full screen mode, I believe it uses all the resource it can. So that will cause things to crash. Run skyrim and some how monitor your memory usage WHILE the game is in full screen mode. Find out how much your system + Skyrim uses and if it's nowhere near your 8gb of RAM then just set it to 1gb minimum and 1.5gb maximum just to be safe.

Looking at the system requirements for Skyrim, it's only at 4 gb ram for recommended specs. So I'm sure using 1gb min will be more than enough, just in case anything happens.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I would set min/max to 1.5GB and you should be fine. (for memory)