Pages '08 Aggravation (Lists)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mechcozmo, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Pages is started to get on my nerves. I use it's list feature pretty extensively for note-taking in class. However, when I shift-tab "back" Pages keeps the same letter/number I was using for the sub-notes.

An example might be best. Here's my note-taking structure:

A. (Top Level Note)
    1. Sub-Topic
    i. Sub-sub-Topic (or clarification)
    a. Sub-sub-sub-Topic (or clarification)

But when I move outwards, from say, ii. out to start 2., Pages keeps the form ii. The numbering is correct, but the format is wrong. Each time I tab in or tab out, I have to tell Pages what form to number the list in. Which is, as the title of the thread states, is very aggravating. Pages '05 didn't have this problem-- it would learn (or you could set it, I don't remember which) what level of the list had what numbering style.

Anybody else run into this, and any workarounds?

2. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A new chapter...

TextEdit does notes correctly, but insists that an entire document be a list. If I break the list somewhere, and then try to start it again down below a paragraph, TextEdit numbers the paragraph. This is very frustrating! :mad:

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

No - but same problem here.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I just responded to your question in the other thread, but after reading this one I'm wondering if the problem is how you've got "following paragraph style" set in the inspector.

5. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've played with that setting, and it doesn't seem to affect the numbering list format.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry. I don't think I understand the problem well enough. I rarely use auto-numbered lists.