Pages '08 and Equations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Oct 28, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I forgot to test this in Page '08 before the trial period expired, so I hope you don't mind me asking here!

Can you insert mathematical equations into a Pages '08 word processing document, like you can in Word '04 with the Microsoft Equation Editor (and similarly in AppleWorks with Equation Editor)?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Of course

Of course you can. That is not even a question. The question is which equation editor should you use.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK then, which equation editor should I use? :p

Seriously though, does the Pages equation editor have the same features that the MSOffice one does (apart from the annoying features :p;))?

4. mac.v21 macrumors newbie

mathmagic equation editor works great with Pages

You may want to try MathMagic equation editor. Free trial can be downloaded here.
    www.mathmagic.com/download/

It works in both directions:
    MathMagic <-> Pages, by drag&drop or copy&paste, which is great for re-editing.

And when inserted in a text line as Inline Graphic, the baseline of equation automatically matches as well.(Pages 3.0)

And MathMagic equations can be used in Keynote as well. equation background is transparent so it works well with slides, especially when non-white slide background is used.

5. Rauni macrumors newbie

Hey! Did you get an answer for your question? I'm stuck with the same. There is Function/Formula Editor but is not available. What should I do to get using it?
    Thank you!

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can use Grapher to write the equation and then paste it into Pages.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As an equation editor, Grapher is a very blunt instrument. Rauni may use the free LaTeXiT editor (included in the free MacTeX bundle), MathMagic, MathType (recommended by Apple), or MathEQ.

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

It's worth noting that, AFAIK, MathType (with Pages 09) is the only one that will automatically align the baseline of inserted inline equations. (Instead of requiring you to drag an image around to align an equation with the surrounding text.)

9. mac.v21 macrumors newbie

No, MathType is not the only one.
    MathMagic equations are automatically aligned.

And MathMagic can read/edit MathType equations as well.