Pages 08 corrupt index.xml file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badsci, Mar 27, 2010.

1. badsci macrumors newbie

I've searched extensively on this topic, and I'm pretty sure I am out of luck.

However, my perfectly fine pages document from yesterday will not open today. The .xml file seems to be the problem; when I view the package, the index.xml.gz file won't "unzip" to an xml file, and if I just change the file extension, I get a garbled mess.

Is there any way I can get the xml.gz file recovered?

I am very sad. I will no longer be using pages because I can't trust it. What I have read on the 'net is very discouraging.

Yes, yes, backup yes yes all that stuff. However, unless someone has instant simultaneous backup, this kind of thing could still happen - it was just one day, and I don't backup my files every day.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Pages 08 has been replaced by Pages 09. How come you haven't upgraded? Might have solved whatever your problem is.

Inside the 08 package there should be a PDF of the formatted document, correct? Your short-terms solution should be to open that PDF in Preview, then copy and paste into a new Pages file.

mt

3. badsci thread starter macrumors newbie

no .pdf file in the package, just the .jpg thumbnail of the first page (preview image).

upgrades cost money, of which I am not made. :) I do my updates, though, as far as they go.

am re-creating the work in Word, which I hate, but is at least recoverable. No more Pages for me.

4. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

What happens if you type the following in Terminal: gunzip index.xml.gz ?

The gz extension means that the file is a zip-archive, so simply renaming it will not do.