Pages 08 expert ?? Preference question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldManJimbo, Oct 3, 2008.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Love Pages '08

When opening the app from the dock, is here way to set preferences so the app will open without opening a blank document? Quite often I am merely wanting to work on an existing doc, but have to wait while the blank doc comes up before proceeding.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When the template chooser opens, a check box at the lower left corner "don't show this dialog box again" is available. If you check that box, whichever template is selected at that point will become your default. The same option is available in preferences, at the very top of "general preferences." Probably that doesn't do what you want, though.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Thanks, but not quite. I've done the "select template" setting. What I'm after is a setting that will open Pages, but NOT open any template - because it's a waste of time waiting for a blank template to open when all I want is to work on a previously saved document.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When I want to work on an existing document (in Pages or any other application) I double-click on that document...

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

As do I - but if Pages isn't open, it will launch and part of the launch process is to open a blank document.

I want Pages 08 to launch without needing to open a blank document.

Does that make sense?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not really, no. If you quit Pages and then double-click on a Pages document, Pages launches and opens that document. The template picker never appears in that instance. The only time it does appear is when you launch Pages or click on the Pages Dock icon directly when no document is already open, or choose "new" from the File menu.

7. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

You know - you're correct. OK. I'll just start doing it that way.