Pages 08 - just printing a doc means a "Save Changes?" dialogue box??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ss957916, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Just by opening a document, clicking print and then closing the documents prompts a "Do you want to save the changes?" dialogue box.

I have more than 150 single documents to print and that's going to get REALLY annoying.

Can I turn off that warning?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'm guessing that the printing properties / preferences are set within the document. Thus if you open and print to maybe a different printer will cause it to ask to save again. Just a guess though.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I've noticed that dialogue too, so no... its not unique to your installation. It just means tapping an extra "return" on your part since if all you're doing is printing you don't really care if it saves or not. (i.e. you don't need to interact with the dialogue, just click "return" to dismiss it.)

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Is there anything in the document that changes automatically? auto file name or something that might have changed since the last time it was saved?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you are seeing is normal and understandable. Microsoft Word is not a native Pages format. It must be converted internally to a format that Pages understands. Once opened, your document is new as far as Pages in concerned. It wants to save it as a new .pages document.

To turn off the warning for Word documents would require turning off the warning for all new documents. Very bad idea. Just close the document without saving and get on with your life.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually... this will happen even for "native" .pages files. It's a bug in Pages.

7. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

A bug is an unintended result. Since saving the print record (it's in the document inspector under info) is an intended feature it can't be called a bug. Granted, it would be nice to turn some of these "features" off, but you can't. I suggest leaving feedback for the Pages team about it.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This is not any type of bug. It's not even a Pages or a Mac thing. It is quite common in most programs, even in Windows.

Open a document in any program (Word, InDesign, Photoshop, Excel, whatever) and print the document without changing anything. When you attempt to close the document, 9 times out of 10 (I don't want to claim it happens 100% of the time, because I just don't know that for sure) the program you are using will ask if you want to save changes.

I don't know for sure why it happens, but I do know that it's been this way for as long as I can remember. I have to assume that invisible changes are made to any file that you print, prompting the "Save Changes..." dialog.

Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. I experimented with Word, Photoshop, and Excel on a Vista machine before posting this.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I was not aware that this "problem" was that widespread... learn something new every day on these forums.

10. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

We often need to do word counts in Word documents (XP) before passing them along ... just open the file, hit word count, then close. Word wants to know whether we want to save the changes. It is annoying, but one of those things you live with.

mt

11. Buzz Bumble Guest

This is a very old "bug" / "feature". Even just opening, doing nothing, and then closing a document in AppleWorks (in both OS 9 and OS X) or the older ClarisWorks will cause the "Save Changes?" window to be displayed.

In some cases / applications it is probably due to things like uncompressing an image to display it, replacing a font with a close look-alike, updating auto-dates / page numbers, spreadsheet formulas recalculating, etc., etc.

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I see the same thing in InDesign if I open a document and export it to PDF. Nothing has changed but now it asks if I want to save changes. Probably makes sense to someone.

13. Buzz Bumble Guest

InDesign saves the PDF options you use with each document, so it would make sense if you change any of those options, including the filename / location of where the PDF is saved.

14. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

All iWork 09 apps do it too. I've submitted this one as feedback to Apple but as another poster said, it does record the last time the document was printed, which could be useful. I just wish OS X would allow print settings to be saved, like Office apps. If I change a bunch of settings then print one copy, then decide I want another I usually have to change the settings again.

Sure, I could give the print settings a name and save them, but I already have quite a long list of these. At least 10.6 is a little more intelligent about selecting the previous print setting for the selected printer, so they do appear to listen to feedback.

15. Buzz Bumble Guest

Some applications do and some don't. InDesign saves the settings as does FileMaker Pro.

You can of course tell Mac OS X to re-use the same printer as the previous print job, and then it does retain some settings (e.g. printer, printer "style", etc.) no matter what application.

16. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Does this work consistently for people? It blatantly doesn't work for me using iWork and never has since 10.4 at least. Perhaps I have a corrupt plist file somewhere.

I just double checked. Print to one printer in Pages. Select Print again in Pages, a different printer is selected. Interestingly in Safari it works as you describe, and according to the 'last printer used' preference setting.

I'll try in a new user to see what happens there.

17. Buzz Bumble Guest

As far as I can recall it works on all the 10.5 iMacs at my main customer's office ... it's a little annoying when I print something without double-checking only to find someone using it before me changed the printer and my printout comes out on the "wrong" printer. :rolleyes:

18. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Actually I see there is more to it than before in 10.6 - you can now save settings for specific printers which makes sense.