Pages '09 and Pages '06

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swwack91, Aug 25, 2009.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

Is there any way at all to open a Pages '09 document using Pages '06??

I created the document with '06, sent it to someone to edit with '09, they saved it and sent it back and now I can't open it.

2. ElijahPost macrumors member

No. The other person must save it in a way that works with Pages '06.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The only previous version that Pages '09 can save as is Pages '08. It's one reason I keep Pages '08 installed - it can save as '06. I suggest asking the person to save/export the file as Word or RTF & send it back to you.

As an alternative, you could download the trial of iWork '09, open the file & copy & paste the content into a Pages '06 document.

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'll have them save it as a Word document... the only snag is that they won't be available for a while :confused:

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

If you need it quickly, zip it & attach it to your post. I'll convert it to Pages '06 & post it back (or e-mail it to you).

6. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Lots of times, I've been able to extract the text from a formatted word processing file by opening it in something like Tex-Edit Plus or Text Wrangler. You lose formatting and graphics, but you get the text, which is usually more important.

I tried opening a Pages file with a text editor and there's no text at all. It's binary, maybe it was compressed, like a docx file? So I drop it on StuffIt Expander to see what happens.

Out pops a folder containing a plist (data unimportant to a human), an xml file which contains the text (even though it's stored as an xml database, it is readable), a PDF of the file and a PDF of the first page.

If you're desperate, you can drop the file on StuffIt Expander and then open the xml and strip out the extraneous data, or copy/paste the data inside the PDF. It'll have extra carriage returns, but it is the data.

Really didn't expect this.

mt