Pages 09 CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iStudentUK, Apr 13, 2010.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I've tried searching for help on this, but I have only found information from several years ago. I hope you guys can help...

I'm running pages 09 on 10.6.3 with the last non-unibody white MB (2.13GHz, 2GB ram). I have a two page document open with text and two jpegs inserted, and pages is using loads of my CPU! As soon as I start typing it jumps around from 40-60% (when I stop typing at falls to <5%). It means there is often a brief lag between me typing and pages keeping up (and I'm not especially fast).

My ram seems ok, about 850MB from free and inactive combined, and I only have pages, safari and mail open.

Anyone have any ideas how I can improve the performance? I'm trying to write my thesis!

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Barring any other issue with your machine, it sounds like the issue is with the jpegs. Or at least, the MB is swapping RAM to your hard disk and the disk access is eating up your CPU.

How big are the jpegs?

Any chance you can run them through something like Seashore (or even Preview) to reduce their resolution so the files are smaller? You could use the dummy images as placeholders until it's time to print/distribute the file.

(BTW, what other apps are you running while you've got Pages up?)

mt

3. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Each jpeg is around 0.5MB, just graphs I have exported. Only running safari and mail in dock, with ClamXav Sentry running in background as always.

I tried replacing the jpegs with simple squares and it is back to normal. Slightly disappointed with my computer not coping with something as simple as that (I never had any problem with word on my old vista machine). I have written a bit more and I am now on the next sheet, and it does seem a little better with the jpegs 'off the screen', or am I just imagining it?!

Thanks for the help! I'll just work with colourful squares for now!

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Two 500K jpegs should not be giving you problems. I'd do some more research.

What processes are running?

Do you have errors posted to your Console?

Do you have the same problems with Mail, ClamXav and Safari not running?

mt