Pages '09 Freezes with .doc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleCrisp, Mar 29, 2009.

1. AppleCrisp macrumors member

Hey,
    I have been having this problem with Pages lately: whenever I try to open a document which has been edited in Microsoft Word, this pops up: [​IMG] If I click the ok button, Pages works for a split second then numerous of those boxes begin to pop up. This problem looks like it only happens with .docs created with Word and not with Pages. Has anyone seen this/can think of a solution?

2. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Hmm, this seems to be an issue with Pages, assuming your files are not corrupt. Are you opening .doc or .docx? My only advice would be to use AppCleanerto delete Pages and then reinstall. May not be the best advice, but it should fix the problem.

Hopefully someone else knows what the issue is.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

This was a frequent topic when iWork '08 was first released. It is related to third-party spell checkers such as SpellCatcher. If they haven't been updated to the newest versions, this error comes up, especially when opening Word documents.

If you have SpellCatcher or another spell checker installed, I would just try disabling it first & see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, do a Spotlight search for "spell" & see what comes up. Trash anything that looks like it belongs to a third-party spell checker & restart your Mac.