Pages '09 Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gvegastiger, Apr 21, 2009.

1. gvegastiger macrumors regular

I'm trying to create columns for a bulleted list. I have 10 bullet points and want to seperate them into 2 columns of 5 underneath my text. Is there a way to do this? I tried creating a table but you can't insert bullets into a table and you cant split just part of a page into columns. Any Pages experts out there want to help me out?

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

1) Head over to the Apple Support pages (at apple.com). There is a whole area there for iWork. The people who post there are very knowledgeable. Do a search first, your question is probably answered. And, the gurus there prefer that you try to help yourself first. If you can't find an answer, then ask away. :)

These are just off the top of my head.... haven't checked to see if they work.

When you said you tried to do this with table, were you attempting to put a bullet per cell, or your list of 5 in one cell?

In the "inspector" on the page setup tab, there is a way to create columns on a page. Have you looked there yet?

Good Luck

I'll see if I can't check back later.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

Me again.

Use a blank "word processor" page, or at least a word processor template (not "page layout"). Unless you like lining up text boxes. Go to "View" in the menu bar at top, and click on "Show Layout" if it is there. If it says then "Hide Layout" then don't change it, since you want to see the columns that you will create.

A blank page by default has a single column. Put your unbulleted text in. Now, go to "Insert > Layout Break". In the Inspector, the 2nd tab from the left, has the choices "Layout" & "Section".... choose "Layout". Now increase the number of columns from one to two (or whatever). Put the cursor at the top of the first column (which you can see if you did the step above), and create your bulleted list.

When you are done, Save your document. I think now you insert a layout break again, and then bring the columns back down to one. If that isn't it, then insert a column break. It all depends on what you want to do next. If you have saved your document, you can play with these until you get what you want.

Cheers and good luck.

4. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I'll see if this works. I gotta say though, that isn't a very easy way to do this.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

You're very welcome :)

I don't use any other word processor, in a serious way, so I can't compare. It only took me a few minutes to figure this out, so I suspect once you have done this a few times you will find it quick and easy. The first time will be difficult, then it generally becomes old hat.

6. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

snberk,

Is there an easy way to copy the format from one place to another? I tried using the copy format option but that never seems to do anything for me.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I haven't tried that.... but

Have you tried "Save as Template:"? Would that work for what you are trying to do?

Have you looked at the Pages Support section at Apple.com? Do a search, and you'll probably find your answers there. They are the real pros. I'm just a serious user.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I set up my one column, 3 column layout, and then put a space in each section (so functionally empty). I don't know if the spaces are actually necessary... so try without. Then I selected the whole area, and did a straight copy (command - c).

Put my cursor below the stuff below and pasted, and got the column layout I wanted. So, yes - you can copy the format. Look at the column margin settings in the Inspector, on the same tab where you set the number of columns. It may make your page look better.